My review of the new silverchair album

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Well, let it be said, I am a huge silverchair fan, I have all their cds, every single they have released and a lot of bootlegs. I have listened to the cd again this morning just to be sure about my opinion on it. I knew it wasnt going to be rocky, but thats ok, because I loved Neon Ballroom and that was extremely different to Freakshow, one of my favourite ever albums. BUT.......

This album is about to get the kicking it so richly deserves :D

Firstly, the single "The Greatest View" is a great song, but the rest arent. The only other one that even scrapes its way to mediocre is "Without You", and it only got their kicking and screaming because I was desperately trying to find something to like.

Here are some examples of the lyrics on the album, I am NOT making these up.

Across The Night
"Yeah, lets just get married shouting baby, baby, babies
You'll never sleep at all
But I dont want to be lonely"

Reread that. What the F**K? I didnt take that out of context either. Who does he think he is? Billy Corgan?
Heres another one....

Too Much Of Not Enough
"She tripped on a hole that id dug in the soil
To be part of a human garden and I couldnt
Stand in the straight postured sun"

Once again. What the F**K?
Daniel Johns is flatout bonkers. The boy obviously needs to eat some meat to get his mind back.

He also spends well over half the album singing in a stupid falsetto high voice, who does he think he is? Billy Corgan doing King Diamond? It sounds really silly. Really really silly.

Special mention must go to Tuna In The Brine having a bit right after the chorus that sounds like it came out of a Walt Disney film. I kid you not.

Riffs? What the HELL are they? A rock band? They obviously dont remember being one. The one heavy song on the album has the guitars turned down, probably just in case anyone thought they werent "artistic".

Silverchair used to be one of my favourite ever bands, and I even loved Neon Ballroom, but this shit has just gone too far, this album is not even good in an unrocky "well they dont rock but they are still great" way. It just plain sucks ass. A lot of it too.

Even the cover blows large amounts of goats. What is this? 1970? I think the clothes they wear on the back cover pic are a metaphor for the cd quality.

Maybe one day Daniel Johns will turn back into a man and rock again but at the moment he seems to be stuck in some kind of hermaphrodidical state where he has become a woman and only sings about sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.

Im SO disappointed.

Diorama, I wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire.

yeah - i saw em on rove the other night, Daniel looks terrible.
I have never and mean, never liked em, but had respect for them as a band that actually plays their own instruments and writes their own material . But the new stuff - to me, sounds like every other piece of garbage that is flodding the aussie scene.

droan droan droan, clang clang clang - scream "out of tune guitar"

I hope daniel gets better from his arthritis.

They will rock again when Ozzy remembers what he did in 1985 :(

They will rock again when Warrants new album goes straight in at number one on the hot 100 :(

They will rock again when I can go into Utopia and walk out without buying anything :(

They will rock again when I cant pick up the phone because so many women have their hands on me and wont let me out of bed :(

They will rock again when Limp Bizkit release a great metal record :(

They will rock again when Troops thinks hair metal is overblown cock rock (oh wait.. it IS! ;) ) :(

You get the idea :D Im still pissed too. Sellouts :)

:lol: geez mate i think you have convinced me not to even give it a listen let alone buy it..but then alot of people slagged off the last album and that has to be one of my fav's..butthen im not a big shitchair fan :D

I really liked Neon Ballroom! A top album, even if it wasnt rocky! :D

But this cd is Silverchairs "Load" but not even as good. So its their "Reload", but I like Reload more, so I dont know. Its just not good. Its just not good at all.

But silverchair will rock again when Metallica make a new song that doesnt have James going "yeaaaaaah" in a silly country voice :(

Download it on MP3 first id say. Dont buy it, you will only encourage them. I just dont understand it, Daniel even grew his hair long again, I thought for sure that signalled something good coming......

Yours sincerely, a still pissed Spawny :D

Iced Earth better not pull this shit on me or the Titanic distaster will look like a little bump into an ice cube compared to me........

"Some folk'll never lose a toe, but then again some folk'll. It's Phloggy the slack-jawed yokel."

I kin call my maw from up here... HEY MAW! GIT AWF THE DANG ROOF!

Ah, the Simpsons. Where would the lexicon of pop culture be without you? :lol:

W