My take on PPV...

Into Eternity-Due to the new line-up changes I was dissapointed, although the setlist was awesome, but they weren't all their.

Dreamscape-Suprisingly me drummer really got into them, they were good and it was a good setlist but I was too hyped for Tad Morose.

Tad Morose-When I heard the opening riff for "Servent of the Bones" I went nuts. I was singing so lud throughout that whole set they were one of the main reasons I went to Progpower.

Kamelot-First time to see them and I was right up front, although I was pretty tired I thought they were really tight and had an awesome set. They are easily my favorite power metal band. They has some reall y great moments where you could just let all the music wash over you., Damn, that sounded cheesy. :D

Savatage-I watched for a little while and to my dissapointment I didn't hear a whole lot of savatage it was mostly Oliva solo stuff. I watched the end of the set though, pretty cool. I wish oliva would of sang Power of the Night.

Adagio-Th e biggest reason I was here, I LOVE ADAGIO!!! I thought Guy did an amazing job, they were tight, cool setlist, and they were really cool guys.

Wuthering Heights-didn't watch them

Brainstorm-At this time I was really hungry so the only song I watched was Highs without Lows, my dad really enjoyed them though

PoS-not only does Daniel sing like Jack Skellington from the nightmare before christmas but he jumped around like him during Inside.
Remember PoS is Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Edguy-Good show, Tobi was pretty funny but I was dissapointed in the setlist.

jaq said:
Hehe, I got it before it came out, thanks to advance ordering ;-)

So what was Tad Morose on about?

Tad Morose was on fire as what. Everyone has different tastes and hearing other people's opinions is interesting to me, as I am the first to admit my tastes are peculiar. Having said that, I thought Tad Morose had a great balance of energy, charisma, musicianship and style. I really feel bad for you since you weren't able to have the same experience I did.

Bryant

dargormudshark said:
Tad Morose-When I heard the opening riff for "Servent of the Bones" I went nuts. I was singing so lud throughout that whole set they were one of the main reasons I went to Progpower.

Heh heh heh you rock Darg !! What kicks ass is when you are expecting to get your ass kicked, and it still happens. With the exception of them not playing "In The Shadows," they could not have been better.

Bryant

Into Eternity - I didn't really like this band. It is not that their performance was bad or anything, however, I am not into this style of music.

Dreamscape - Too Progressive for me.

Tad Morose - Didn't view.

Kamelot - Kamelot was the first Power Metal band I listened to and I loved their live performance, however, where was the new song? Also, the intro was incredible. I love the Cultural influence in their music!

Savatage - Didn't view.

- - -

Adagio - Very good live. I have both of their albums and think they're excellent. Did Forte's guitar seem too loud to anyone else or was this just me?

Wuthering Heights - AMAZING. Definitely the best band at the festival and my main drive for going. Far From The Madding Crowd is my favorite album of last year and I was astounded to hear the songs live! As for their image, people who do not understand Folk (Pagan?) bands would certainly not understand Wuthering Heights. From their lyrics I believe they're a Pagan band, which is excellent, however, I've never heard them claim to be one.

Brainstorm - I caught the last two songs. This band was too traditional for my tastes.

Pain Of Salvation - Pain Of Salvation was excellent live. I am not a huge fan, however, I do have one of their albums and it's just about the only Progressive Metal album I like outside of Neo-Classical bands.

Edguy - Excellent live. I thought the set-list was pretty good and was happy to see Timo perform live for the first time. Also, Tobi's jokes were excellent!

Ah, what the hell. here's my review for those still checking this thread.

Preparty: wasn't in the room enough during any of the bands after Halcyon Way to fully review them, but every moment i heard of any of the bands sounded awesome. Awesome preparty, shane. 4 amazing bands. and great set again, Jon! Great to see the local scene have an entrant this year, and the set did not disappoint. The new stuff is a big step forward, too. I love the "Deliver the Suffering" EP.

And then the main show. I was SO looking forward to this lineup; i didn't know many of the bands before the announcement but what i heard on CDs indicated i was pretty interested in at least 8 of the 10, once i had the opportunity. I was up front all night, both nights. my legs died.

Into Eternity: One of the main bands i was here to see (though i buy my badge blind every year, so i'm going to be here regardless) and they did not disappoint. They weren't dead on perfect, but they were damn close; they really brought the intensity and were a fantastic start to the festival. MASSIVE props for coming out with that kind of a set after replacing over half the band 3 weeks earlier!!! and hey, if you guys are reading this, work on that Canadian death metal US tour we were talking about!!! wanna see you back in atlanta!

Dreamscape: Sounded fine and i could tell they were playing their stuff fine but they weren't as exciting to watch and I really got bored with their music. They struck me as a textbook example of how the term "progressive" in metal has devolved from meaning "different or boundary-pushing" to meaning "sounds like a combination of some elements from Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and/or Queensryche." It felt like Dreamscape was playing the same heavy riff over and over, interspersed with watered down Queensryche music to me. sorry.

Tad Morose: Holy shit was this ever awesome. I always thought they were pretty good on CD (they weren't necessarily even one of the bands I was most looking forward to at this overstacked PP, though) but goddamn did they nail it live. Their set overall, and "Matters of the Dark" in particular (not even a song i'm very familiar with) slammed into me out of nowhere and became my surprise moment of the festival. Urban Breed brought tremendous enegy to the performance, as well. Top notch all the way. The immediate thought that popped into my head during "MotD" was "headliner: PPVII." I don't know if they're well known enough to headline, but at least a 90 minute slot. I'm hoping. At least to me, and to several others from the look of it, they have proven themselves.

Kamelot: I had really bad sound for them where i was standing (up front at the railing on the right hand side) and this set reinforced from ProgPower II that I really don't like Khan as a frontman (he seems SO postury and artificial up there, much more so than the similar complaints I had about DC Cooper with Silent Force at PPIII). Also, either his mike was cutting in and out all set or he was dropping a lot of words. A shame, since 4th Legacy is one of my favorite power metal albums and I really do like Kamelot's music a lot. overall pretty disappointing in my opinion. They sound much better on CD and the live show didn't really add anything. Though Midnight's voice was cool when he was singing.

Savathing: This was perhaps my most anticipated set of the fest and, not to say that i'm glad Zak lawnmowered his hand almost off, because i'm not, but i actually think that his absence made this set all the more special. I am only 24, didn't get into Savatage until Handful of Rain, and have always LOVED the old stuff. This felt like what getting to watch them on tour for Streets must have been somewhat like (albeit with Chris on guitar instead of Criss, and Kevin on bass instead of Johnny, and Jon a lot bigger, and the song "Edge of Thorns" thrown in). I heard songs I never thought i would get to see Savatage play, and they sounded incredible. This set was one of the most amazing things i've ever seen, one of the few that's managed to rival seeing the full current 'Tage on the Poets and Madmen tour. They were obviously having so much fun up there, it really drew me in. And obviously Chris Caffery's vocals were a pleasant surprise. I will say that the "Pain" material was a little weaker than i was hoping, but once they kicked into the old school set, i was totally hooked until it was all over. Thank you SOOO much, Glenn, for making that happen.

Adagio: I have yet to settle on a full opinion of this band. I'm still hovering around "they sound kind of like Symphony X but I like Symphony X better", at the moment. Their set was good, but it didn't really blow me away.

Wuthering Heights: I love their recent CD and I had a lot of fun wathcing them. One of the few bands of the weekend (Savatage, them, and Brainstorm) that had the vocals high enough for me in the mix from where i was standing. I understand that it's damn near impossible for a sound tech to insure quality sound right up at the stage, especially for the vocals, but some sets show that it can be done, and I applaud the sound guys for the three i named. These guys were really fun to watch in their slightly goofy way, and perhaps their sound was actually better up front because i thought it was awesome and a lot of other people seem to think it wasn't. Longing for the Woods I & II ruled.

Brainstorm: The feel good band of the festival. It's always nice to watch a band that's totally astounded by the support they have. The total shock on these guys' faces when they first came out and were greeted with "BRAIN-STORM!!! BRAIN-STORM!!!...(etc.)" from hundreds of people was classic, and that attitude lasted all hour long. I tend to prefer Tad Morose's music to Brainstorm, so i think TM edged them out as a total show-stealer, but Brainstorm came damn close. There is little they could have done better and i thoroughly enjoyed them.

Pain of Salvation: I really don't like this band. I nearly fell asleep through their set at PPIII, and have given their music a chance on several occasions with no success, but i was upfront anyway for all 4 of the other bands on Saturday, and couldn't leave between Brainstorm and Edguy or i would lose my spot, so i figured i would give them one more chance to really win me over by watching them live from up close. They got out to a really good start with the first kind of Pink Floyd-y song that i got into, then the two songs after it really got me going, very interesting technical breaks and pretty entertaining overall; I was dreading coming back to this board and having to admit that i was wrong about the band... Then they proceeded for the remaing 70 minutes to remind me of why i don't like them by playign the same kind of quiet, lull-inducing art rock with the occasional metal break that i was used to from them. Don't know where those 2 pretty cool songs came from, but i liked them. The rest made me again wonder what the hell the big deal is. I'm beginning to wonder if the people that fall in love with them are mostly people who aren't as familiar with stuff like Mr. Bungle, King Crimson, Cynic, and a bunch of other bands that seem to do the progressive, "play it weird" thing in much more interesting ways, at least in my opinion, than Pain of Salvation.

Edguy: Sound problems seemed to return for this set, though for once the band was so energetic that it was forgivable. They are such performers it hardly mattered. Not as mind-blowing a set as PPIII because we expect it from them now, but still cool to watch nonetheless. Would have preferred a few more songs off of Mandrake, and maybe "Fairytale" but still a good set.

and that's that.

Ryan

Hey, glad someone else mentioned Kamelot's intro tune. I recognized it almost immediately and it's a great choice of music.

It was "The Might of Rome" from the soundtrack to the motion picture Gladiator. Easily one of my favorites from that score. Oddly, the song has a very Dead Can Dance-ish feel to it, and DCD's Lisa Gerrard was involved on the Gladiator soundtrack, but that paticular song isn't credited to her.

Pellaz said:
Hey, glad someone else mentioned Kamelot's intro tune. I recognized it almost immediately and it's a great choice of music.

It was "The Might of Rome" from the soundtrack to the motion picture Gladiator. Easily one of my favorites from that score. Oddly, the song has a very Dead Can Dance-ish feel to it, and DCD's Lisa Gerrard was involved on the Gladiator soundtrack, but that paticular song isn't credited to her.
Did anyone else notice that at one point during the set change for Kamelot, Gunter (or whoever was on the keyboard) was playing the keyboard part to "Sear Me MCMXCIII" by My Dying Bride?

Ryan

Great festival once again!!! Glenn is da man, I am looking forward to next year. Maybe Stratovarius??!!!

Todd