My Turd Polishing Technique (AKA how to get shitty musicians to play with a click)

yeah. i had a band that the drummer said he refused to use a click track. so i recorded drums and a trash guitar track. it was a night mare. i could never get the timing fixed. so i really need to learn this. it woudl make my workflow much better.

no way in hell i can program drums that fast. lol

i've done things this way before, and simply drag/drop some EZD loops, copy/paste...done. it's really just there to hold shit together so the guitar/bass can get tracked in time.

Yeah, loops would work just the same, but you will have to program breakdowns by hand, because it's not likely they will have the exact beat you need. Blast beats, double bass and simple 4/4 beats, which are generally the only loops I would use, are the easiest to program. it only takes as long as it takes to click all the little boxes.

As far as the song not feeling right, thats why I have the singer sing over top of the scratch guitar and programmed drums. The singer will be able to tell if the tempo isn't right, because his vocals won't flow the same. It's important that the whole band is present at this point. Remind the drummer to be mindful of the tempo, and confirm that he will be able to play at that tempo comfortably.

Anyways, I hope this works out for you guys!

:Smokin:

Yep, I do usually like this as well, since I am renting a local studio for tracking (even though I charge by the hour for tracking), so I must be as fast and efficient as possible. Def good shit. Enables you to edit drums after all is done, which is important.

God you guys have so much more work ethic than I do.

I usually just tell the bands that I'm programming the drums and that's just how it's gonna happen lol
I can usually have a completely mixed/mastered copy turned out from scratch in around 7-8 hours