Using a Click track?

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
I'm just wondeirng what the consensus was on using a Click track? I have trouble with my rhythm tracking (I'm a better lead player) but I use EZdrummer and pre-programmed MIDI loops so the backbone of my song structures are already solid, timing-wise and obviously these are always the first part of my tracking process. Do I need to run a Click track? I'm a bit worried that I may find running a click makes things harder rather than easier. Anyway, any tips would be appreciated.

Dude, if you have a sweet ezDrummer backing, you should be fairly solid there, but I think it would be good to turn the "humanize" function off to have it dead on like a click is. Your RIFFZ will humanize when you play them. Unless your NOT REAL.

Dude, if you have a sweet ezDrummer backing, you should be fairly solid there, but I think it would be good to turn the "humanize" function off to have it dead on like a click is. Your RIFFZ will humanize when you play them. Unless your NOT REAL.

I guess you mean turn the humanize function off whilst tracking only? Is it really necessary to run essentially two metronomic tracks on a recording (click+ sampled drums)?

imo, if you have sampled drums that are already in perfect time - why use a click? clicks are dry, machine-like and harsh to the ear - whereas a well programmed drum track is not. as long as the drum track is in time, use it. it'll be the drums you hear in the final mix, not the click.

plus, clicks are generally for the drummer only (not always, but most the time) - since he's the guy (or gal) that sets the foundation of the tune from which everything else builds on. bad drums = disaster

Honestly, though, my favorite way to track guitars is with my track solo'ed and the click on, so I can scrutinize my own playing the most.

I like to use drums and a click at the same time a lot of the time. It allows me to stay in perfect time, but "feel" the rhythm and the accents easier.

But, that is just what I like to do. I know people who do things both ways and have great success.

Yeh like other ppl said the Drums are solid and programmed so its basically just like the playing to a click
the click can still come in handy though if you have break in the song or the song pauses or you have a beginning with no drums....you can easily count along and stay in time.......but then again you can just use a hi0hat to do this and then take them out later.....

but yeh play with a click it will make you a better musician

I use an ezdrummer click that is just a pedal hihat... btw, w/ ezdrummer if you build you're own midi grooves the "humanize" feature is not an issue. The humanizer is only in the prebuilt grooves.

if the band want a professional sounding recording that isn't live, then click all the way! Some people say that it loses all the feel of a tune, but very good musicians can play dead on the beat or with a more relaxed, rubato time feel if suited to the tune.

everyone needs a "clock" to work from under those circumstances, otherwise, who do you reference your timing against? God forbid it to be the drummer! :lol:

Sometimes (depending on some genre's) the hats, cymbals or ride isn't always keeping the tempo in some parts of a song.
Like for example (as simple as i can put it) a part that might have lots of strangely arranged 16th note toms rolls and pauses that is with a click and is tight but might throw the recording member off, and the guitarist needs to play a certain rhythm that gets chugged on the first and second count, hold the 3rd and the 4th count of a Bar (assuming it's a 4 count bar of course).
In theory the 'chugs' have to be aligned with one of the tom hits (normally the first hit of a tom) so you can listen for that or you could listen to the click track which basically says:

In standard 4/4
"PLAY HERE....PLAY HERE...DON'T PLAY HERE...PLAY HERE"

:)

i turn it off when tracking vocals though

I used to do that, until i realised that vocal syllables follow a certain rhythmic pattern which is part of the same click track if it's in the same song.
And if the vocals get doubled on a certain spot (or the whole album if you're Behemoth) then it's pretty easy to try and make them tight.

And if there are pauses and the vocalist needs to come in exactly when the bands starts, he/she should know when his/her cue is.

(or the whole album if you're Behemoth)

:heh:

HEAR MY CALL (LEVIATHAN)
BLESS MY FLESH (ASMODEUS)
RAISE ME HIGH (BELIAL)
THROUGH THY RAGE MY WILL MANIFESTS!!!

SOOoooo brutal...I loves it - and to give my take on the topic at hand, because of the expressive and often semi-improvised nature of vocals, I'd generally say no to a click, unless of course as Deanbailey mentioned you plan on doubling them.

CLICK OR DEATH
:headbang:

this is going to sound rough, but if you can't play to a click you're a poor musician. and any whining about it being too sterile or lifeless is sad excuse for laziness. it's not really hard, but it takes a little practice to get used to it at first. and once you're used to it, it's second nature.

:headbang:

this is going to sound rough, but if you can't play to a click you're a poor musician. and any whining about it being too sterile or lifeless is sad excuse for laziness. it's not really hard, but it takes a little practice to get used to it at first. and once you're used to it, it's second nature.

+ 1 metal drums are supposed to be tight, and almost mechanical, therefor a metronome is a metal drummers best friend. no room for swing here!!!