My U47 is Finished

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Ok, so I have been building an alternate tube U47 for awhile now, and I have finally finished! I may install a mod for a switch inside of the mic later on to achieve "true cardioid" (mine is a remote pattern selection mic like an M49), but as of now, as long as no problems arise, the mic is done. I decided to put it up against my Manley Reference Cardioid and do some tests on voice and acoustic guitar. I didn't spend much time on placement for the "best sound." I just set the mics up as close to each other as I could (somewhat difficult with LDCs), and went from there.

Voice
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1579861/U47 Manley - A.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1579861/U47 Manley - B.mp3

Acoustic Guitar
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1579861/U47 Manley - Guitar A.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1579861/U47 Manley - Guitar B.mp3

Feel free to guess which is which, or say which you prefer, or just compare the "quality." It's fairly easy to guess which is which is you know much about the circuit and capsule design of these two mics.

I'm going with A is the 47 and B is the manley, i much prefer B on the vocals but A was interesting sounded real old timey, But i preferred A on the acoustic. Got any pictures of the mic? or any more details about which capsule you are using? tube etc?

I'm going with A is the 47 and B is the manley, i much prefer B on the vocals but A was interesting sounded real old timey, But i preferred A on the acoustic. Got any pictures of the mic? or any more details about which capsule you are using? tube etc?

I will post a picture a bit later today. Capsule is a BeesNeez K7. It's described as a K47/M7 hybrid, but considering that everywhere I've read says the M7 and K47 share a backplate, I don't see how the K7 is not just a pure K47 clone. Tube is a Telefunken EF800 glass tube. The same tube used in the Wunder CM7-GT, as well as the Pearlman U47 clone (well, EF80). It's also used in the Miktek CV4 (not a 47 clone).

For those interested, here's a few pics in one

U47Collage.jpg

Got any details on how you built the mic? Sounds like an interesting project!

Very carefully ;)

I bought a kit for the body, transformer, PSU. Rewired the PSU. Built the 7-Pin Gotham cable. Followed a wiring diagram someone made that follows an alternate tube U47 circuit for the mic itself. Installed the BeesNeez capsule. Etc., etc. This is the first mic I've built, and basically my first DiY project ever. I had to buy basic tools I didn't own like screwdrivers, and learn how to solder haha. It was a massive undertaking, but as most people seem to be saying, the sound quality is definitely "there." Couldn't be happier.

It's interesting to me to read which mic people prefer. Guessing which mic is which is fairly easy IMHO. Cheers for the replies so far!

Turned out really nice.
Was following this on GDIY. How do you like the K7? I have been wanting to try one in my next 47 type build.

Thanks. The K7 is great. I have no other M7 or K47 capsules to compare to directly unfortunately, but I can tell you that with a little bit of EQ in the top end, the 47 and my Manley are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Eventually I may get a Thiersch M7 to compare, but it could be awhile. I may put the K7 in an M49 and put the Thiersch in this 47, for example.

Damn, now I also have to build one...

It's an infectious disease. I'm probably going to start on a C12 in just a few weeks. Btw, I dig your studio. If you had a spot for an assistant I'd move to Sweden in a heartbeat ;)

I forgot to mention that the mount for the K7 is somewhat of a pain. It works fine if your body is compatible and you don't care about capsule height, but I wanted exact U47 capsule height, and my kit/body was not compatible. I don't know what's typical of mic builds since this was my first, but I will say that, by far, the hardest part of my build was figuring out how to mount the capsule in the body. I had to modify a wooden dowel in order to screw the mount onto the deck in the body, and I had to use metal washers to raise the height even further. I also had to use super glue to tighten things. It's still not perfect, but it's functional and none of the issues are present during a normal recording. There would only be issue if someone was flopping the mic all around while recording (i.e. never), or if a client wanted to see the inside of the mic before using it, and didn't like that it looked very DiY :lol:

In case anyone was still wondering... A was indeed the 47, and B the Manley. So, everyone who guessed was correct haha

By the way, I have now used the the U47 on an actual production. Take a listen if you wish. Just acoustic guitar and some ambiance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, just checked this out and preferred A on both clips. B sounded choked/thin in comparison. Listening through Yamaha HS80M and only listened to about half a second of each clip to get real first impression results.