Myspace only for bands now?

Aug 6, 2006
Is myspace completely dead now or what? Seems like only bands are on myspace and everyone has moved over to facebook.

Myspace seems to be plagued by viruses as well keeping people away. Myspace used to be huge for bands trying to promote online and to find new fans.

Anyone else noticing this?

Peter

Yeah man I've just stopped checking it. All I get when I sign in is a million friend requests... from other bands... with automated messages that don't apply to me or my band. Sick of it.

Deleted my 4 year old profile about a month back. And yeah, I got tons of trojan alerts from myspace. Might have been false flags but I'm not taking chances. oh well, it was cool while it lasted.

FUCKING HAET the autoplay videos people leave in comments. I went to a page once I shit you not there were 14 autoplay YT videos amongst the endless list of comments. It was demonic. Oh, and I only ever go on there to update my equipment list when I get new shit, or when I get an e-mail saying I got a message/comment/request. Luckily I don't get very much spam, but I'm just not a popular page on there haha.

think its still one of the easiest ways to present yourself and your music though as everyone on the planet knows where to go to press play etc, i thought the place was a graveyard untill like two weeks ago when a friend from my class told me that his band (that only started playing in mid 2009) had over 120,000 plays and that if they got anything lower than 1000 a day it was "a bad day"

i laughed, then nearly cried when i saw it :lol:, weird stuff, so i dont think its completely abandoned,

darkness in paradise i think they are called, not really my cuppa,

Yeah, it's dead as far as people who go on and check their accounts regularly etc are concerned, but it is still a good place to refer people to. My band has recently paid a designer to make a full html page and graphics and shit for us so that we can send people there to listen to our music and check out our gigs and shit. Facebook just doesn't have the same feel to it when you show someone your blank white page with your band name on it and they have to scroll through tabs to get to your music.

I agree it's still a vital marketing tool for bands, because it's so easy to type "bandname myspace" on google and listen to the first track on the player, and obviously you want the profile to look good to make a nice impression. I do it all the time unless the band is on Spotify. But for me as a service provider and an individual it hasn't got any use anymore.

It's still the most practical solution for bands AFAIK. It was certainly the most practical solution for me, short of a full-fledged site. You have all the relevant info right there on one large splash page. Samples, info, equipment, contact etc. No screwing around. It's still functional.

I never had a personal Myspace account, only on for a joke band project thing ages ago, which we haven't logged into for ages now. Logged in recently now that I remember, and had all these annoying messages and shit.
Terrible for personal profiles, because you get all these scene kids with those fucking obnoxious backgrounds and their fucking shitty poetry all over the place, so Facebook is much better in that department, but Myspace is still definitely superior for bands and audio engineers/producers.
Just wish the muthafuckers would let you put 320kbps Mp3s on there. I suppose that's why Dropbox is cool, but it's not like you go around saying "HEY MAN, I CAN LINK YOU TO SOME COOL SHIT ON MY DROPBOX ACCOUNT!" for the obvious reason of no one except us forumites knowing what it is haha

Getting around the mp3 player is easy. Take a look at what Raziel and I did on my page.

The scene kids/morons are a problem for me on all social networking sites. At least on Myspace I can upload a design that lets them think I'll stab them in the face if they fucking spam me.

Most of the "bigger" bands in the industry have already made the move to Facebook and have hundreds of thousands of likes already

plus the audio player is lightyears better than the myspace player