N00b question on recording Drums using live guitar..

Danielmarcoulis

New Metal Member
May 20, 2011
So my drummer wants to record by having my guitar player play through his headphones. We've done this at other studios but I never got the chance to see how they did it.

My question: How do I have it so my guitarist can play his guitar through his headphones and the drummers headphones WHILE having a click go into the drummers ears as well?

Send guitar (from some sort of guitar simulation that has a line out (I guess a headphone out would do too)) into your interface, and send both the guitar signal and the clicktrack from the interface into a headphone amp and then into both their headphones.

Ahh so for me have my guitarist play through in my case Pod Farm into my interface while the click from my DAW is going through as well. Will the output on the interface go left/right though? If that makes any sense.

Ahh so for me have my guitarist play through in my case Pod Farm into my interface while the click from my DAW is going through as well. Will the output on the interface go left/right though? If that makes any sense.

I don't understand what you mean left/right? You should have it as mono, since they both should hear both the guitar and the click.

I used a hardware unit in the example because the latency would be smaller, but if the Pod Farm can run on small enough latency, there shouldn't be a problem.

load box so you can use the amp straight into your interface. that way the guitarist can use his usual fx chain and the switch pedal for changing channels on the amp if neccessary.

Just record the tracks in advance, and let him listen to that while recording. Dead simple.

I wanted to do rough tracks but they INSISTED on live guitar. Such a pain.

Listen to fama, it's the best way. You don't want click on left and guitar on right, that'll drive the drummer crazy, you want both mixed in coming through both sides, just adjust levels in your DAW/Interface until he's comfortable

yea I think thats what Im going to do. Thank you!