Nab question about dualtracking.

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
Have learned alot of things here, still i havent recorded that much. Do got some questions about dual and quadtracking. Let's say, my band has 2 guitarplayers, me and other guy. But we still play like 70% of the time the same riffs. Same rythym and tone.
Last demo (where i recorder all the guitars). I recorded like 4 guitartracks. I dit used revalver HP for the tone. I recorded 2 tracks for the left side, both with the same amp (5150) but different mic. And 2 tracks for the right side with same amp but other mic (XXX - revalver sound isnt anything compared to the real thing tbh). Is this quad-tracking??? I've been told if you do it this way, you get a nice and full tone. And gives alot power, and it did also. But consumes alot of time if you arent a really thight player.
At the next recording i am planning to do the same thing, but then using the real amps and mics. But thing now is: if i use the real thing, i would use multiple mics per cab (wich inst possible in revalver HP). Guitar 1 will be pannen 100% left, and the other one 100% right. Playing mostly the same thing. Is it really recommended to record both sides twice? If you are using same amp settings and mic positions? " :ill: while typing i was thinking: yes you do, cause it will sound so much better" o_O The question i should have asked is: do bands like: Despised Icon, Suffocation, Carnifex and some more of those awesome brutal band do it also this way??? Or not?:confused:

Yeah, quad tracking means 4 different performances, usually panned 100L/80L/80R/100R sort of thing. If you mic up the cab with 2 mics but only play it once per side, that's dual tracking.

I personally prefer to just dual track, it still sounds great to me and is a lot easier to get everything sounding tight, but quad tracking can sound great as well.

4 different performances of the same thing? So if you had 2 guitarist who play different parts you'd end up with 8 parts? I know everyone probably has a different take on this but I'm curious on what the consensus is.

No dude, each guitarist would play his part twice, thus 4 total :lol:

it just helps it sound fuller due to the imperfections and tonality differences - if your guitarists are terrible and cant follow themselves you can chance slightly pitch shifting it up or down a few cents and bring the tracks forward or back a few ms - works sometimes but its not as good

No dude, each guitarist would play his part twice, thus 4 total :lol:

Thanks Metaltastic!:kickass: That's what I thought but there are so many posts kicking around on this that I was starting to wonder. On the topic of there being so many posts on quading, a sticky on guitar tracking would be good. You know, quad tracking, panning, levels, mic placement, etc, and of couse links to the existing re-amping and DI stickys.