Nagelfar Tribute Thread

Shakermaker

Hufeisenbrille
Oct 28, 2001
Bern
They're easily one of my favourite bands ever. Unique Black metal with great (german only) lyrics, the concept album 'Srontgorrth' being their best CD, imho. sadly they disbanded last year.
If you know them, what are your thoughts on them?
and if you don't know them - why the hell are you still here? :D download the first track from the srontgorrth album here right away! (sadly, it's only the first half of the song).
i couldn't find any other (legal) MP3s on the net, so if you want to hear more you'll have to use p2p.

yeah, naglfar (the swedes) are also very good. "vittra" is up there with storm of the light's bane, if you ask me...
but they don't have much in common with nagElfar.
i searched for some decent english reviews to post here, but i couldn't find any :(

Nagelfar are also one of my favourite Black Metal bands . I want 'Srontgorrth' pretty badly. By the way, what is the concept Shakermaker? Explain :)

HarmonyDies.... said:
Nagelfar are also one of my favourite Black Metal bands . I want 'Srontgorrth' pretty badly. By the way, what is the concept Shakermaker? Explain :)

that's hard to explain because the lyrics are very ambiguous and philosophical... but i'll try anyway. essentially, "srontgorrth" is the tale of a viking warrior by the same name and the first four songs all stand for a season, the fifth track is the grand finale. but that's about all one can be sure of :D
in the first song it seems that srontgorrth is being held captive but can free himself (or maybe he is freed by someone else?). the lyrics draw a comparison to the wolf fenrir: he realizes that he was "freed to die" - or was he?
the tale of srontgorrth is told in a very self-reflective and poetic way, so one is pretty free to interpret it. one could indeed think that the lyrics tell us about fenrir and what happens after he was freed (ragnarök) but i think there's more to the story than that. for me, it's about the general process of freeing one's mind, of "opening new (spiritual) gates" to one's spirit. srontgorrth escapes from the darkness and in the last song he has the chance to "step through the gate" ("behind me lies the debris, before me the gate") - we don't know what happens after that, maybe it's the ultimate downfall, but maybe it's a spiritual ascension of some sort. of course this is quite a personal interpretation and i could be terribly wrong...
hmm... you got me thinking... maybe the album is indeed about "freeing one's mind" but something goes wrong with srontgorrth (maybe srontgorrth confuses freedom with total seclusion from outside influences? the metaphor of "solar eclipse" is used frequently throughout the album and gives an impression of total seclusion and darkness). i'd say it all depends on what answer you give to the question in the title of the first song:
"freedom or doom?"

@demonspell: as i said, definitely check out vittra by naglfar if you like sheol. vittra is one of the greatest milestones of blackened melodic death imho, comparable to dissection's storm of the light's bane.

btw, i just found this mp3.com page for kettenhund records, nagelfar's old record company. they have the rare nagelfar song "nur ein see" available for download there: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/109/nagelfar.html

and as i said, the download in my first post is only the first half of srontgorrth's opener, so for a real impression, you should use a p2p program.

virus west was my first black metal album - it blew me away then and it still blows me away! "meuterei" is one of the greatest songs ever, if you ask me.

I just bought "Srontgorrth" due to this recommendation. Am listening to the first track for the first time right now. Sounds very good. The vocalist is great.

Great! I hope the electronic stuff didn't bother you..?
Their two other albums are also absolutely worth buying.