Naglfar - Ex Inferis

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
NAGLFAR – EX INFERIS
Century Media – 2001

By Rodrigo

Well Naglfar know exactly how to tease us. Ex Inferis is a 5 song EP that includes 2 new songs, a Massacre cover and 2 songs from the When Autumn Storms Come 7". These 5 songs give a total running time of 27:30, which is way to short but perfect to wet our appetite for the next full-length album.

Ex Inferis opens up with the excellent "Of Gorgons Spawned Through Withcraft" (with that title it almost belongs in a Cradle of Filth album). It opens up with a piano melody but it quickly spawns into an awesome black metal piece. This song reminds me of a more raw Dimmu Borgir. The keyboards are present in the background but not as loud or prominent. The guitars are fast and melodic and the drumming is unrelenting. The vocals of Jens Ryden are truly excellent and reminiscent of Shagrath’s style. The other new song is "Emerging from Her Weepings" and it is equally as good. Its tempo varies more; there are great changes to keep you guessing where the song will go next. I especially like at 2:08 that the piano takes over with a dark melody line and it lasts for almost 50 seconds before everything speeds up again.

The Massacre cover is "Dawn of Eternity" and I have to admit that I have never heard the original so I have no idea how this version compares to the original one. But this song definitely has the Naglfar style and it fits perfectly with the other songs. I really like the slow introduction with the background chanting, it really adds to the dark atmosphere. "When Autumn Storms Come" and "The Brimstone Gate" might not sound as good as the other 3 songs but its nice to hear these songs included in this EP and they serve as a way to see how the band has progressed. "The Brimstone Gate" is a slower tune and the singing by Jens is more harsh and raw and not as polished as it is now. "When Autumn Storms Come" has an excellent main riff throughout the song. It’s a mix of black metal with melodic death metal which is kind of like Dissection.

Overall, this is a very good EP. It might be very short but if it’s a sign of things to come then it’s a very good teaser. Naglfar is definitely one of the bands too look forward to in 2002.

Century Media Website
Naglfar Official Website

The other new song is "Emerging from Her Weepings" and it is equally as good

Emerging... is actually an old song, appearing on the album "Vittra"... Hmmmm, nah, nothing more! Just lokkin´forward to the album!

-phyros-