Naglfar - Ex Inferis

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Naglfar: Ex Inferis MCD
2002, New Haven Records

441_1.jpg

Four long years have passed since Naglfar released a studio album. Hopefully their new album Sheol will be out this year but till then we still have something new to listen, this MCD, Ex Inferis.

It contains three old songs taken from their previous albums, a Massacra cover ("Dawn Of Eternity"), that is very well-done, and only one new song. The old songs, "Emerging From Her Weeping" from the album Vittra (1995), "When Autumn Storms Come" and "The Brimstone Gate" from Diabolical are re-recorded. There are small changes, like the piano solo in the middle of "Emerging...", but that's all that is worth mentioning. These old pieces today still sound as great as when I first heard them, but now they are a bit more interesting with their new versions and with a better sound.

This MCD opens with their new song "Of Gorgons Spawned Through Witchcraft". After the short piano intro we can hear the new "Naglfar" melodies. I mean, it is the well known Naglfar music, dark and aggressive black metal with some rawness (which reminds me of some old Norwegian bands) and quiet melodic in some way. If every song on Sheol is just like this one, then it it will make forgettable many other black metal albums that have been released this year. I can scarcely wait to hear it!

This MCD is a must-buy for the fanatics. For those who haven't heard the band's music yet, it provides an insight into Naglfar's past, present and into their future.

Track list:
1. Of Gorgons Spawned Through Witchcraft
2. Dawn Of Eternity
3. Emerging From Her Weepings
4. When Autumn Storms Come
5. The Brimstone Gate

Playing time: 27.33

Nagalfar Official Site
New Haven Records