NAGLFAR "Pariah"

Purveyor Of Evil

Heavy Metal, INC.
Mar 17, 2003
Hughestown, PA.
Visit site
I love this band! Anyone else out there feel the same? I think they're every bit as good as Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, or Immortal (R.I.P.). The new album "Pariah" is incredible. I only wish they used more guitar solos. I need guitar solos in my metal, preferably. Being 37 years old, I come from the old school where solos were always present. But, I digress...NAGLFAR would be a great contender for PP, but I know the harsh vocals kill any chance of that, unfortunately. The previous album "Sheol" is also very good, but "Pariah" is incredible! For those who care, Sheol is Hebrew for Hell. Just a bit of trivia for all of you. check this band out! They rule big time!:headbang:

Hard to make this an actual contender. Black metal is about as far from prog/power as you can get (barring extreme punk genres like grindcore and crust).

Emerald Sword said:
NAGLFAR would be a great contender for PP, but I know the harsh vocals kill any chance of that, unfortunately. The previous album "Sheol" is also very good, but "Pariah" is incredible!

They are an excellent band and "Pariah" is outstanding. However, they would sink like a brick at ProgPower IMO.

The thing about "odd ball" bands is that they tend to have some link back into the prog or power world -- see: Into Eternity (prog death), Mercenary (power with some death vox), Orphaned Land (prog with some death vox). Naglfar are pretty much straight up Dissection worship, so....

A good oddball contender would be Amorphis. Or perhaps Isis (that's a long shot). And the most obvious choice is Opeth, but that's never gonna happen for obvious reasons.

As much as I enjoy them, Naglfar has absolutely no chance as Glenn has previously stated that any "oddball" band (or even just a band that utilizes growls) must also utilize clean vocals at least 50% of the time for him to even consider. Naglfar does not.

Naglfar for Progpower? Nah. I will say though, Naglfar is an amazing act. If you haven't heard Diabolical, I suggest you go out of your way to find this one. Sheol and Pariah are very strong albums, but Diabolical is an absolute work of art. A perfect example of how the art of black metal should be performed.

I love Naglfar. But yeah, I agree... they aren't for PP (I'm sure most people would enjoy them, but they don't fit the theme).