NAMM 2009

http://ibanez.com/new/

well....:puke:. The new flanger looks cool, and I'm glad to see the old Timmons model back (with a ridiculous price tag, no less), but that's about it. Well, I guess the increased use of maple fretboards is cool. I think the new Jem is the worst thing they've put out in a long time...almost bad enough to make me sell my 7vwh out of shame.

More natural finishes... sexy. There needs to be more though.

Invader SH-8 bridge and their Seymourizer II neck(no longer manufactured) are my fav all time pickups. Not only does the Invader cook, it looks killer too! Razor...I've never had issues with the Invader...might be your wiring. I'd still love to try the Rockfield pick ups, but I've never seen them on an axe anywhere in a store.

No, its wired properly, its feedback, its too hot, as I recall you said you have never played in a band ? This happens at drum volumn levels, about 3.5 to 4 on the volumn dial of a 100w head. Not at lower practice levels. I did notice Duncan mentions tone woods under its recomondations, perhaps my guitar body which might be ash does not agree with the frequency of the Invader, I really wouldnt know.

No, its wired properly, its feedback, its too hot, as I recall you said you have never played in a band ? This happens at drum volumn levels, about 3.5 to 4 on the volumn dial of a 100w head. Not at lower practice levels. I did notice Duncan mentions tone woods under its recomondations, perhaps my guitar body which might be ash does not agree with the frequency of the Invader, I really wouldnt know.

No...I've played in plenty of bands...I used to gig for a living as a young adult. Yeah...the wood or cavity shielding sounds like a good bet. Either way...can't beat the tone.

Oh, OK, thats good, you'd be wasted talent otherwise. I guess I got confused thinking of something you said about more recently, sorry. It could also be the block wall Im 15 ft from in the basement doesnt help but the overall acoustics down there are better than anyplace I have ever practiced before, then again its not a full band, just a drummer and me and I havent had the guitar anyplace else. Its "hot" thats for sure. As Ken suggested along time back I should try adjustments on my gate, its primarily my crunch channel thats the problem, the few I use for solos dont feedback. I need to get with the technology program and make the effort to iron this out and some other bugs. Life gets distracting... Any shielding advice ? this is a full front pickguard guitar like a Strat is, I just went through it to, changed strings to EB slinky/fat 10's, truss rod adj. and set intonation, theres other custom work I plan on doing to it one day, so a major tear down is in its future.

Hmm...that's strange...far too heavy in the mids for a nu-metal sound IMO. It was developed in the mid 80's way before that type of music ever evolved. Everyone's ears are different.

Never was into the invader much.. sounded too nu-metal for my taste.

Awe, it chunks very nicely, but I can honestly say I have no idea what new metal actually sounds like, I think its that crap with all the "Im a badass sick MF" so called vocals... where they say fuck every 4 words and use rehashed Metallica riffs. I have tuned in and checked out immeaditaly a few times on XM.... lol But I'm honestly not much of a tone guy for telling one form of metal from another. I can hear the difference in newer equipment than that of the 80's thats about it.

Awe, it chunks very nicely, but I can honestly say I have no idea what new metal actually sounds like, I think its that crap with all the "Im a badass sick MF" so called vocals... where they say fuck every 4 words and use rehashed Metallica riffs. I have tuned in and checked out immeaditaly a few times on XM.... lol But I'm honestly not much of a tone guy for telling one form of metal from another. I can hear the difference in newer equipment than that of the 80's thats about it.

I was just thinking, razor...I had a swamp ash USA made G&L ASAT Leo Fender Signature series back in the late 80's...gorgeous guitar...a real quality piece...anyway...I found that wood to be quite microphonic...maybe it's just the wood of your guitar.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=96f&sa=N

Much like the one on the left, but it had 2 classic ASAT P90 type pickups...I always wish I kept that one...bought it for 800 bucks new...probably worth 3000 by now.

yes it could be, someday I will know exactly what the wood is when I get working on it. There wasnt many of these made under the Tokai name and the only claims I see were Ash, today they are sold under the Eastwood name and claims are mahogany, probably that cheap asain mahogany substitute.... forget whats its actually called. Anyhow I think its tone is more fitting for what the claim for ash tone is.

** Meeds... sorry for the hyjack

yes it could be, someday I will know exactly what the wood is when I get working on it. There wasnt many of these made under the Tokai name and the only claims I see were Ash, today they are sold under the Eastwood name and claims are mahogany, probably that cheap asain mahogany substitute.... forget whats its actually called. Anyhow I think its tone is more fitting for what the claim for ash tone is.

** Meeds... sorry for the hyjack

Ha...yeah, Meedles...sorry...ok, back to NAMM.

I guess Radial introduced the Bones line...these look interesting...dual overdrives.
http://www.tonebone.com/index.htm

Tech 21 is pushing their character series which is cool as well.
http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html

Has anyone toyed with these by any chance?

zzz I guess I'm not a gearhead.

I'm a firm believer in Jaco Pastorius' famous "It's all in my hands." as well.
I've been playing close to five years now, still all I own is my bass and an amp and I'm very much content with it. I also can't seem to muster the tiniest amount of fascination for technical specifications and all that... that's not knock at people who do, though.

Sometimes effects are called for...you're certainly not going to emulate a delay or chorus with your hands.
That's true of course... effects are about the only "tech" thing I've dabbled in for a little while - but ultimately I refrained from getting one. The range of sounds one can get out of an "unprocessed" bass guitar just by using different playing techniques and a little creativity is actually vast to me. I just love the purity of the instrument, so to speak.

This is the only NAMM thread I've ever seen that doesn't contain copious amounts of guitar pictures.

That's true of course... effects are about the only "tech" thing I've dabbled in for a little while - but ultimately I refrained from getting one. The range of sounds one can get out of an "unprocessed" bass guitar just by using different playing techniques and a little creativity is actually vast to me. I just love the purity of the instrument, so to speak.

I know what you mean, but when playing an electric instrument factors such as amp, pickups, strings, etc., have a huge factor in tone. The closest thing to purity of hands and instrument would be an acoustic instrument...even then wood, strings, etc., are factors in your tone.

I like the idea of Jaco's quote, and there is a lot of truth to it...but...

Simply by playing an electric instrument, you've embraced technology.

bass guitar is one thing best played clean, electric guitar is another. However on the same plane there is alot to be said of a great acoustic or archtop player, even the guys that have that Strat/Fender delux rev sound down.