Napalm Death - Somebody educate me

Electronicoil

Feb 23, 2002
Allen, Texas
www.angelfire.com
What's a good way to get into this band? What's excellent? What's not?

I remember this band from way back in the late '80's. At the time they were way too heavy for me. But my tastes have become heavier and now I'm curious about them.

I picked up the "Live Corruption" VHS tape for $1.99 (love used shops) and now I'm pretty curious about their CDs, maybe particularly their later CDs.

I don't know too much about that band and I made pretty much the same experience as you did. Personally I think most of their releases suck big time. Especially the ones from the 80s. But I have Harmony Corruption and Death By Manipulation in my collection. Although I don't appreciate much of their stuff I like the Corruption album a lot. So if you ask me then go for that one as it is by far their best in my opinion. Mass Appeal Madness and Suffer The Children (all part of DBM) are also good releases and you could check out Utopia Banished as well. I found it pretty boring with time and therefore sold it again, but you might like it.

Mad Dog said:
I don't know too much about that band and I made pretty much the same experience as you did. Personally I think most of their releases suck big time. Especially the ones from the 80s. But I have Harmony Corruption and Death By Manipulation in my collection. Although I don't appreciate much of their stuff I like the Corruption album a lot. So if you ask me then go for that one as it is by far their best in my opinion. Mass Appeal Madness and Suffer The Children (all part of DBM) are also good releases and you could check out Utopia Banished as well. I found it pretty boring with time and therefore sold it again, but you might like it.

Well "suck" is pretty relative, I guess. Napalm Death isn't the sort of band that one goes to looking for technical excellence or anything. I guess they're more about raw aggression and passion. They're probably as close to pure noise metal as I'm likely to drift. And I'm not even sure I'll dig them, yet. But I'm curious.

The reviews of "Enemy of the Music Business" and "Order of the Leech" intrigue me. I hate to buy stuff solely based on reviews, however.

Having recently gotten into the band and now own everything but their first two, which were the grind albums, I'd say the best place to start is either Harmony Corruption, Enemy of the Music Business, or Order of the Leech. HC is classic Napalm. The last two are fantastic death metal albums.

Not all NP is essential. Diatribes, Inside the Torn Apart, and Words from the Exit Wound are not essential.

Death by Manipulation, Fear Emptiness Despair and Utopia Banished are pretty good.

Dreamlord said:
Having recently gotten into the band and now own everything but their first two, which were the grind albums, I'd say the best place to start is either Harmony Corruption, Enemy of the Music Business, or Order of the Leech. HC is classic Napalm. The last two are fantastic death metal albums.

Excellent advice. Very clear. Thanks! :)

If you're more of a death metal fan, get Order Of The Leech or Harmony Corruption first - fantastic albums, both. However, for me, Scum is one of the best grind albums ever - however lo-fi the production and unintelligible the vocals, the punk-as-fuck feel of it and the sheer, youthful aggression captured within are second to none.

Check out the Punishment In Capitals DVD too, if you're curious enough - it's pretty much a 'best of' set...

Napalm Death mop the fucking floor live...pick up Enemy of the Music Business, Order of the Leech, Utopia Banished, Scum, or Diatribes

ffanatic said:
Don't start with their earlier stuff. Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration sure gave me the wrong message.

think the opposite!

don't listen to these messages...

napalm death was grind !

now they are generic death metal...

buy FROM ENSLAVEMENT TO OBLITERATION or die....

:lol:

Am I in the minority in thinking that Harmony Corruption is their weakest album? Anyway, start with the early shit (Scum, FEtO, the Death By Manupulation comp. and the original Peel Sessions). Fear, Emptiness, Despair and Diatribes are pretty good too.

dill_the_devil said:
If you're more of a death metal fan, get Order Of The Leech or Harmony Corruption first - fantastic albums, both. However, for me, Scum is one of the best grind albums ever - however lo-fi the production and unintelligible the vocals, the punk-as-fuck feel of it and the sheer, youthful aggression captured within are second to none.

Check out the Punishment In Capitals DVD too, if you're curious enough - it's pretty much a 'best of' set...

Thanks. I ordered Order of the Leech and Harmony Corruption off of Amazon yesterday. I don't have the DVD, but I do have the Live Corruption video from 1990, which I think is part of either that DVD or the other NP DVD.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
Am I in the minority in thinking that Harmony Corruption is their weakest album? Anyway, start with the early shit (Scum, FEtO, the Death By Manupulation comp. and the original Peel Sessions). Fear, Emptiness, Despair and Diatribes are pretty good too.

Well, I just ordered it so I hope I like it more than you do. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.