can u help me out

stino

New Metal Member
Jan 11, 2003
users.skynet.be
hi all!
i'm new to metal... only bands i listened to up to a month ago were slayer, old sepultura (arise & btr), rhapsody and dark tranquillity. for the rest it was all hardcore, specially metalcore like unearth, dead to fall, heartscarved,...
you probably don't know these bands, but i can assure you: buy their cds if you can, you won't regret unless you're an idiot that doesn't know shit about good music (i mean this)
but then i downloaded autumn leaves.. i first listened to it while i was biking, and i liked it pretty much... second time i listened i was stoned, and i was totally blown away by the power and the melody and technical playing (elements i always look for in music). ...
plain death metal is what i wanna hear now, so finally, my question: what bands do you recommend? i want technical playing, really technical playing by ALL band members, i want melody and quick riffing, and so much different rythms it's hard to keep up with.
what bands can become my new gods?

If you want something damn beautiful, I suggest Opeth. They're kind of gods. Then I recommend stuff like Mudvayne's LD.50, that's one of my favourite cd's (and it got me into metal). Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos and A Predator's Portrait got me into death metal. Then you might want to try their previous albums Steelbath suicide and Chainheart Machine. Here are more albums to check out:

In Flames - Jester Race
Darkane - Rusted Angel
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Killswitch Engage - alive or just breathing (or what ever)

Vehemence - God Was Created
Suffocation - Human Waste
Cattle Decapitation - To Serve Man
Impaled - Mondo Medicale
The Berzerker - The Berzerker and Dissimulate
Gorelord - Zombie Suicide Part 666
Old Man's Child - Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion
Death - Human
Naglfar - Vittra
Nasum - Inhale/Exhale
Nile - In Thier Darkened Shrines
Circle of Dead Children - The Genocide Machine
Napalm Death - Order of The Leech
Carcass - Heartwork

Nile, Vader, Cannibal Corpse, old Carcass, old Napalm Death, Death... hmmmmmm... there's lots more.

ha, thanks for the quick replies...
some of the bands you mentioned i already know, so now i'm gonna need the time to check the rest...

Seeing you listen to Rhapsody, I take it that you like power metal. So I'd recommend Blind Guardian (mainly the newer releases, but the old is good too). Also check out Luca Turilli's solo work. It's similar to Rhapsody.

As for other stuff.. I'd check out
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Death
Control Denied
Nile
Morbid Angel
Dawn (The Swedish Dawn, the German band is just boring death metal)
Arch Enemy
In Flames (before Colony)
Solefald
Ulver (first three albums)
Arcturus
Opeth

Well, these are my recommendations.

Nile
Immortal
Dissection
Emperor
Decapitated
Behemoth
Misteltein
Old Man´s Child
Children Of Bodom
Kalmah
Norther
Thyrane
Covenant
Dark Funeral
Dead Silent Slumber
Finntroll
Cryptopsy
Moonsorrow
Illnath
Exmortem
Naglfar
Satyricon
Seth
The Crown
Zyklon
Trail Of Tears

+ a shitload of other great bands I dont have time to mention here.. I also see you dig Autumn Leaves... I know a couple of these guys (we´re danish ;)), and if you want something similar, check out:

Dark Traquillity (You already know them)
In Flames (As mentioned elsewhere before "COLONY")
Mercenary (danish too, yahoo!)
Arch Enemy
Insomnium
Soilwork
Compus Menti (danish too!!)

- among others.. No one beats Autumn Leaves though.. I assume, that it is "As Night Conquers Day" you have...? If not, get it! It´s the one that rules!

Cheers! - and become metal!

if you know that Autumn Leaves guys, tell them they rocked... every member, i especially liked the bass player and the drummer. they should never have stopped with the band imo, but whatever, it's their decision. unfortunately i don't have their actual cd's (YET, because i'm gonna buy them for sure if i can find them), but i have mp3's of both their cd's.

CYNIC? Has no one mentioned Cynic!?

Amazing technical/jazz DM.

A few songs are on mp3.com

While you are there, check Alarum. Aussie band, jazz DM also.

You want death metal bands only? (note: some of these bands aren't completely death metal)

Decapitated-Winds Of Creation
Nile-get them all
Death-Human, Leprosy, The Sound Of Perseverance, Symbolic
Darkane-Rusted Angel
Pestilence-Testimony Of The Ancients
Obituary-Slowly We Rot
Soilwork-The Chainheart Machine
Cryptopsy-None So Vile, Blasphemy Made Flesh
Cattle Decapitation-To Serve Man
Hate Eternal-King Of All Kings
Aeternus-Beyond The Wandering Moon
The Berzerker-Dissimulate
Morbid Angel-Blessed Are The Sick, Covenant, Formulas Fatal To The Flesh, Altars Of Madness

well that's all I can remember, enjoy :D