I'm ignorant, someone help.

Thanks everyone, and as embarrasing at it may seem, yes..I was part of the Linkin Park boards. I knew a few people in the Lyricist Corner there, so we shared a few songs..and I figured while I was there I'd give some of them "good music lessons."

Originally posted by Bezrael
Contrary to popular belief, Meshuggah never uses anything but 4/4 time, ever. They use complex polyrhythms that are played over common time to make it sound like they're playing in weird time signatures.

Meshuggah use a lot of very syncopated / abstract motifs in their music that they play over 4/4 drum beats, like Bezrael said, but in correction, they DO also play in complex meter. (Complex meter is the frequent change of the time signature i.e. one/a few measures in 4/4, then 5/4, then 3/4, then 7/8 etc.) Corridor of Chameleons beginning is a good example of this.

Measure / time signature:
5/4

5/4

6/4

5/4

5/4

and so on...

Contrary to popular belief, Meshuggah never uses anything but 4/4 time, ever. They use complex polyrhythms that are played over common time to make it sound like they're playing in weird time signatures.

Theory is just a tool, not an end unto itself. Bands like Dream Theater, Tool, and Opeth implement theory to structure their music and make it more interesting, but it's how it sounds in the end that matters most. Bands like Dillenger Escape Plan and Spiral Architect use it as an end unto itself, basically saying "look what I can do!" That's why their music sucks.

Tool isn't technical in that their music is difficult to play, but it's extremely well composed and innovative, making excellent use of theory. Danny Carey's drums are especially interesting.

first:meshuggah play almost only asymmetrical tempos; sure sometimes they seems 4/4 but they never play a 4/4 .

second:you suck not spiral architect 'cause they are a great band that constantly developing matemathical patterns inspired by fractal structures!

third:tool are not technical.don't make me laugh!you say that they use theory very well and so for me this is also technique!
justin canchelor is a great bass player however.
this is real theory in practice not that horrible death metal freakish band of the same name(modern prog shit)
:puke:

and stop saying meshuggah are not so good .they are in tour with tool and they are the favourite metal group of robert fripp so ...

shut the fuck up morons!

and prepare your ass for NOTHING by the craziests of all!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

"Lots of critics say we're playing odd time signatures, but the last two albums have been all 4/4. If you hear complexity, it's because we're playing patterns differently over 4/4 than you usually so hear."

-Marten Hagstrom, guitar player and principle songwriter in Meshuggah

I don't know where you got the idea that I don't like Meshuggah. I'm one of the only people around defending Nothing as a good album. Their not my favorite band, but I dig their stuff.

...they are a great band that constantly developing matemathical patterns inspired by fractal structures!

Very impressive. Fractal math takes some serious mental ability, and it's something I've never been able to fully comprehend. However, I missed the part where you told me how it relates to making good music.

How long have you been studying music and/or music theory? One does not need those skills to understand or form opinions about music, but several of your points are based on that (i.e. your comments about Tool) so I'm curious as to your qualifications to make those statements with any degree of veracity.

You have your opinions and you're entitled to them, but until you put some thought into them and then relate those thoughts to us, I don't see why I should respond to your posts with anything other than the above.

I

"Lots of critics say we're playing odd time signatures, but the last two albums have been all 4/4. If you hear complexity, it's because we're playing patterns differently over 4/4 than you usually so hear."

-Marten Hagstrom, guitar player and principle songwriter in Meshuggah

I don't know where you got the idea that I don't like Meshuggah. I'm one of the only people around defending Nothing as a good album. Their not my favorite band, but I dig their stuff.

Very impressive. Fractal math takes some serious mental ability, and it's something I've never been able to fully comprehend. However, I missed the part where you told me how it relates to making good music.

How long have you been studying music and/or music theory?

great i was absolutely sure that meshuggah play almost asymmetrical tempos.
now i try to listen to them with this new idea.
but if they are 4/4 polyrythm played like this they are much more unbelievable then what i have think.
it is never to late to know.:)

spiral architect relate fractal structures with the cosmo structures
that are usually referred to stars movements and to the approximations of nature itself.
so they play music with a cosmic feel and give me a deep emotion about our relations with cosmo.
listen also to the last vintersorg it is a way similar(but with different approach)

i am a guitar player from 14 years ago and i have no classical study i am auto-didact on practice and music theory but i have a great experience in every kind of music.

and i have expressed only personal feelings on the topic!

is it okay?

:)