Native Music( to the country one resides in)

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Since this is such a worldwide site, I think it would be interesting, to find out bands- songs- and styles of music that are native to ones homeland. I think the music that is native to ones country, is in many ways indicative of many of the qualitiesand ideals of the countries ethos- or culture. I'd love to hear or read of just what kind of music many of the members of this site hear in their homelands- not the pop music- but the cultural music.

I live in the fabled Kanadas. Long thought to be uninhabited by evolved man.

If by Native, you mean... what kinds of bands are from Canada, then... every genre of metal is native to Canada. Brutal Metal is probably the specialty in Canada, for we have a very large abundance of brutal death metal bands.

But if you mean, genres that sort of started in Canada, then well... we don't have many. Though Rush probably plays the strongest role in progressive influence.

Edit: As for native/cultural music. In Canada? hahahaha, right.

There really isn't much cultural music in America. The only genre of music accredited to having been invented here is jazz, and I don't listen to that. And then there's Native American tribal music, which probably most Native Americans don't play anymore, so I obviously don't listen to that. I'm lost.

U.S.A.
There really isn't much cultural music in America.
:erk:

Rock and Roll(Elvis, Chuck Berry) and it's various forms like Beach Music(The Drifters), Death(Death) Southern(Allman Bros)' oh hell, take your pick :D
Blues(Delta, Texas, Chicago) - Bukka White, Son House, Rev. Gary Davis, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn....
Bluegrass - also called American Folk by some - Allison Krause and Union Station, Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, The Carter Family,
Gillian Welch....
Jazz - Professor Longhair, Charlie Parker....
Zydeco - Buckwheat Zydeco, Michael Doucet & BeauSoleil, Russel Gordon & the Creol Untouchables...
Country and Western - although usually lumped together they are actually 2 distinct types of music with variations within each.
Country - Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson....
Western - Bob Willis and His Texas Playboys, Asleep at the Wheel....
Swing - Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey, Lionel Hampton, Duke Ellington....
Native American - this is a hugh category with a lot of variations in it like powwow, traditional ,ceremonial - Robert Mirabal, James Ironshell, R. Carlos Nakai
America is a land of various cultures that has created it's own culture. Some people will say these styles started in other countries. These styles are American as created by Americans blending their unique histories together. :D

I also see America being the birthplace of real thrash(Metallica). It may have been influenced by british bands, but they took those and aded things, thus creating thrash.

^^ Venom and Motorhead created thrash. And they were british.

Also we had NWOBHM and Sabbath. Oh and Priest.

We invented Grindcore

We invented Doom/Death

And the wheel

And fire

And hamburgers

And breathing

being that i live in the US, obviously native american music is the native music. however i rarely ever see it included in other forms of music. however native american music and dance is going strong. ive been doing native american dance for 5 or 6 years now, and been into the culture for longer. so its still prominant in the country, most people are just too ignorant to even know about it.
~gR~

I live in America, but my family is German, and I have been over there many times. Native German music is essentially classical and folk. Most of my older relatives listen to those two kinds of music. The classical music I am sure most people are familiar with (Beethoven, Bach, etc.). The folk music is wierd, in particular, Bavarian fold music. I can't really describe it; mostly vocal with some accordion or piano.

if we're going by family heritage, im norwegian, and i think the norse influence in metal is pretty evident hehhehe.
~gR~

The Smithsonian Institution and the Library of Congress are preserving important collections of historical recordings of spoken word and music, from Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" to Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, from American Indian recordings of the 1890s to the oral histories of ex-slaves recorded in the 1930s.

http://www.saveoursounds.org/

And yes, our herritage should be involved. It will make things more interesting.