ND midwest/U.S. performances situation....

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Heya everyone. Just wanted to address something in response to a few messages I've received since announcing our addition to the SIGH/ UNEXPECT/ ZIMMERS HOLE show at the Pearl Room in Mokena on Sept. 21st...

A few people have asked questions regarding how long we'll play, how much it'll cost to enter, what kinds of bands these other bands are because they haven't heard them, how well we'll fit onto that bill stylistically, etc....

They're all valid questions and fair enough to ask. But again I'm getting a vibe that, from some people at least, they're taking that approach with that "maybe I'll catch you guys next time" thing. And that's fine, but I just wanted to make a few things clear to them and anyone else interested....

For quite some time now, alot of you have been saying that we need to focus harder on getting on national shows, as either part of the show here in Chicago, or as an actual part of the whole tour. That is precisely what we are working on now, and being on the Sigh show is part of that. I realise some of you haven't heard of the other bands, or that those bands aren't your cup of tea per se. But the truth is, if you're going to wait around to see us "next time" we play for $4 at the local dive bar/club, you're probably going to be waiting a long time. We're working hard on trying to move up and take the band to the next level. The majority of our performances are probably going to be as part of a national tour, or at the least as the regional support on a national show. That's not to say that we'll never play at smaller venues again with a low cover charge. I'm just making it clear that right now, the plans are that we're going to be playing shows as part of a larger bill in the foreseeable future, and there are no real plans to play small, cheap shows on our own. Which means you won't likely see us playing a 70 minute set, and you won't be paying $4 to get in the door. I know this might be a turn-off for some of you and that's ok, you're entitled to your opinion. But I feel that paying $18 or $20 to come see us play and give us the support we need if you're really a supporter of this band is not too much to ask for. Especially given that we play so rarely around here anyhow.

So anyhow I just wanted to give everyone the heads up as to what our current plans are regarding "local" appearances and everything. It's your choice if you decide that it's not worth the money and "hassle" of paying to see us and watching other bands you haven't heard of or aren't fans of. Just know that these types of shows might be your only choices to come see ND play, and if you choose to wait for "next time", I don't want to read or hear more complaining about how we "never play".

So anyhow, I hope to see at least some of you guys there at the Pearl Room in September. I guarantee that no matter how long our setlist is, we'll still make it count and blow you fuckers away. :)

:headbang: looking forward to reading reviews from the people here (hopefully everyone that is local on this forum, at least)... also looking forward to seeing you in any capacity in the future.

Awesome - I can respect that and agree that you guys should be stepping it up by getting some chances to open for other bands on national tours. That will definitely have a better result than the local bar shows.

I posed the set length question just out of curiousity in the other thread. We'll have the DVD this year to give us a great example of one of your longer headlinging sets anyways. I'm guessing that any shorter set as an opener on the larger tours will be completely pummeling from start to finish with all of the big, heavy tracks from the last two records. That's what I'd like to hear! :headbang:

Assuming my financial situation is farily stable with my wedding coming up in exactly a year, I'd love to catch you guys at the Sigh show!

Thanks for explaining the band's goals this year - that's actually really cool of you to do, and will hopefully drum up some support from the fans that read this forum.

Yeah it's all good Rycher, and just so you know, my comments above were not just directed at you or anything. I have had several PMs regarding the show and all that I discussed, which is what made me address the matter. Congrats on getting married, I just did that this past October and it was wonderful.

Also y'know, with any luck if we can pull a good supportive crowd when we play these opening slots on the national tours, it'll make it more likely that the good clubs in the area will book us for some local shows down the line, perhaps as a headliner. It's really important to us that you guys come out and support us when we do play, even if we're just opening the show. We of course understand that sometimes people just simply cannot make the show at that particular time, etc. But if possible we really could use the support, guys.

Not to mention, I think we're getting better as a band over time. If the last time you saw us was at the Girls Of Metal benefit or at Powerfest....I think we're better than that now hehe

what are they talking about? Sigh rocks, unexpecT rocks even more :D Both are great bands, both are from The End. All 3 other bands are quite avantgarde but that doesn't mean ND don't fit in. The common denonimator is still metal, even more so than if ND were to play with some numetal band or anything.

I would TOTALLY go to check out this show! I've been wanting to see that unexpect wacko slap all 9 strings of that thing he calls his bass for a while now, hope it will happen later this year. Have a good time guys!

Everybody else: listen to the insanity that is unexpect, it might take a few spins but if you are into metal that is original in any way, you should end up liking this. They have a lot to offer! Listen to sigh, they've been around turning heads for a long time.

If you want to check out a band, but don't go in the end because you don't "know" any of the other bands: there is a better way. Just make sure you do know them :D

I suppose there's a slim chance that my company COULD send me to Chicago at just the right time so I could be there...on second thought, probably not :loco:, but it's a nice thought! Anyway, good luck with this, and I KNOW everyone on the board close enough will attend and show their support :p

and I agree...Sigh rocks!!!

Not to mention, I think we're getting better as a band over time. If the last time you saw us was at the Girls Of Metal benefit or at Powerfest....I think we're better than that now hehe

I think you guys were mighty fine at BOTH those shows!
In fact, I lost my voice at the Lot 4 show.......

I am very excited for you guys to land a gig like this.

I was hoping all along that maybe you guys would land the Candlemass gig, as a show with them and Daylight Dies would be a 100% perfect fit!

Anyhow, can't wait for the Sigh show.
I will have to check out some Sigh stuff, as I am not at all familiar with their material.

Was hoping the same.

Yeah, nothing against URN, but they have played the PR a lot already.
Plus they are also booked for at least one other PR gig
(Maybe AMORPHIS, I can't recall, but I know I saw their name elsewhere).

URN are not my thing, but they are very good at what they do.

Anyhow, still very excited for another ND gig. It's been too long!

You know, Candlemass and Daylight Dies is going to be a cool show, but we're picking our shows to expand our fan base, and try to reach other people as well. I think fans of Sigh would dig us, and hopefully we can gain new ones at a show like that. If we play the Candlemass show, most people in attendance would most likely already have heard us.

We could have taken the Amorphis show instead of the Sigh show, but again, it's a decision. We opened for Amorphis a few times several years ago, so we're trying something different this time.

And Jasonic, you may THINK you know about the tour, but you have no idea. hahaha When details come out, you'll say "I never saw this coming." ;)

You know, Candlemass and Daylight Dies is going to be a cool show, but we're picking our shows to expand our fan base, and try to reach other people as well. I think fans of Sigh would dig us, and hopefully we can gain new ones at a show like that. If we play the Candlemass show, most people in attendance would most likely already have heard us.

We could have taken the Amorphis show instead of the Sigh show, but again, it's a decision. We opened for Amorphis a few times several years ago, so we're trying something different this time.

And Jasonic, you may THINK you know about the tour, but you have no idea. hahaha When details come out, you'll say "I never saw this coming." ;)

Paul,
Good point. A lot of the crowd at C-Mass is probably familiar with you guys. Well, I hope in turn to be turned onto some new bands at the Sigh show. The addition of Nov Doom should have a positive impact on the crowd size.

Can't wait to hear about the tour details.
This should be another great year for you guys.

I think that translates to "we'll be opening for American Idol Live 2008"

Right? :heh:

Sweet, I could probably get the wife and kids to come then!

I hope Archuletta wins, since that means David Cook will have a chance at a successful career without the IDOL tag following him wherever he goes.

The first time I heard of Unexpect, it was because they did this festival appearance in Eastern Canada and blew JWW from Agalloch away. Next thing I knew... The End had signed them. Think about how awesome some of that man's projects are and all the great stuff The End brought you. If a band can put on that strong a performance then how can you go wrong?

As for Zimmer's... if you like Metal, you should like them. They're basically a bunch of friends who grew up on the genre then began turning their inside jokes into songs on their down time. It evolved into a real band/homage to everything in/about the genre they loved. Live, they have 4/5 of the lineup SYL used during their final run with a special effects guru at the front. There's fire, swords, prosthetics, and just general METAL out the ass. As for the singer... The Heathen (aka Chris Valago aka Val) has really stepped up to the plate on the latest release. He was always a solid Metal singer but the range he's showing these days is AMAZING. (If he reminds you a bit of Devin Townsend... the dude's been the backing vocalist of choice for all DT projects since at least City).

Dudes... seriously just go out to this gig. I'd be there if not for the living in MA factor. Hell if ten of you go and don't have a great time tell me why and I'll send you a free CD.