ND on Comcast Cable "ON DEMAND"

The tail end of "Leaving This" was tried on Pale Haunt, I can't remember which song... Larry night remember.

We tried it, and the idea came up after I had recorded all my death vocals, so my voice was cashed, and I couldn't sing clean at that point after a LONG evening of growling. We did it with keys or guitars or something instead, and Dan Swano actually talked us into leaving it off the song. Larry then added the idea to "Leaving This" instead, and in my opinion, I'm glad it worked out that way, because they epic ending of that song is a highlight of the CD for me.

That, and Twilight Innocence might be the only two "left overs" we've used again, and like Larry said, Twilight was a left over really, it was just incomplete.

We usually have a few songs that don't make the cut after each CD. When we go back and listen to the songs later, we always realize the newer material we have is better. Writing this new CD, we've already discarded several ideas, and recently pulled a riff or two from the dead songs. It's all a process for us to give you the BEST possible songs we have.

Take... your... time... man. :kickass: I don't care how long it takes. I'm sure it'll be amazing!

I think there's some stuff that's possibly in that similar direction, there's definitely some aggressive heavy shit being conceived right now, but it's too early to really say for sure or give any big hints just yet.

I love the new style on Novella Resevoir and hope to see you guys explore that more. But also I think it would be good to hear some songs with a return to the more doomy stuff like off Pale Haunt or To Welcome the Fade.

It's funny because I can't really answer that. To me, the difference between those last three albums is minimal. Yeah I know in some ways we've gotten faster or more death-metal or whatever but there's still so many common threads throughout them that I don't perceive the "change" as much as you guys seem to.

I think we'll do like we've always done really, which is make music that sounds consistently like we have on the past several cds, plus with a few new ideas and twists to keep it fresh of course.

There's only one word I can throw out there right now that describes the new material.

Dark.

Take that for what it's worth...

I know what your saying and I agree. Don't get me wrong Novella Reservoir still sounds 100% Novembers Doom, just a little faster and more aggressive overall. The last 3 albums you can really tell the band is progressing better and better, but not straying from your signature sound.

I'm extremely excited to see what you guys guys come up with for the new record, you have never disappointed. Fast, slow, and in between I'm sure I'll love it all.

I think female vocals would be interesting (they were a nice counterpoint to Paul on the earlier stuff) but I think the band would be straying into Draconian territory and it doesn't look like that's the direction the band is going. From my perspective that is, at any rate. :)

I think female vocals would be interesting (they were a nice counterpoint to Paul on the earlier stuff) but I think the band would be straying into Draconian territory and it doesn't look like that's the direction the band is going. From my perspective that is, at any rate. :)

You forget we had a female vocalist in the band in the late 80's. If we used them again, we would be returning to something we started a long time ago. Seriously, name me another band in our genre that had a full time female vocalist before we did. I'm not saying we take credit for coming up with the idea (as we we inspired to do it from Celtic Frost) BUT, we were one of the first. If anything, we moved away from that territory with 50 other bands started doing it. :)

You forget we had a female vocalist in the band in the late 80's. If we used them again, we would be returning to something we started a long time ago. Seriously, name me another band in our genre that had a full time female vocalist before we did. I'm not saying we take credit for coming up with the idea (as we we inspired to do it from Celtic Frost) BUT, we were one of the first. If anything, we moved away from that territory with 50 other bands started doing it. :)

I know you did, Paul. Notice I said "They were a nice counterpoint to your vocals" :)

As I also said, judging from the progression of the last few albums it doesn't look like you're heading in that direction again.

I think it's probably the right decision, but from my (admittedly limited) experience of the band, you don't seem to look at what other people do in terms of the direction you take, rather you go with what feels right to you. Would that be a fair assessment?

That is a fair assessment. I think from Paul's perspective what is frustrating is that...if we ever did decide to utilize female vocals again, there are alot of people out there who would wrongfully think we were jumping on some bandwagon, without realising that we helped build that fucking wagon in the first place, haha. I know that you are aware of that fact, but so many others aren't, and as much as we don't let other people's opinions influence much of what we do, it's still frustrating nonetheless.

I know it all seems like touchy bullshit but it's just one of those things....for someone to say we'd be "straying into Draconian territory" just feels incorrect. In fact it would be "straying into old Novembers Doom territory" because truthfully, that's what it'd be, lol. I dunno if that makes any sense to you guys but I hope you get my point. And that's not any slight against Draconian either. They have their sound, and we have had ours. Anyhow, it's not a major thing, just sayin'....

If we wrote a new song and we were truly inspired to have female vocals present in it, then we might go for it. But it'd have to feel right and really fit the song. Part of the reason we stopped using them in the first place was because it just didn't feel right in the new material we were writing at the time. And we knew alot of people would be disappointed at their absence but rather than force a female voice into music not written for it, we ditched it all together. That wasn't the entire reason we left it behind but it was a huge part of it.

I get exactly what you're saying. What I meant by the "Straying into Draconian territory" comment was not that they were the epitome or originators of that sound (I know you were there beforehand), it was just that that's what I imagine ND's sound would be like were you to go down the female vocal path again and they were the first band I thought of. I do understand how that comment would be slightly irritating (I'm sorry I didn't mean it to), but I think we both get the sentiment behind it anyway! :)

IMO, I don't think ND needs female vocals. Your sound has evolved so far beyond where it was back in the early days. It was great then, but not necessary now. And it is true that if you did add FV to the mix at this point, the brainless assholes would come out in DROVES, claiming you are Draconian wannabes or whatever, and that would piss ME off, so I can only imagine how it would make you guys feel. :erk: The ignorance of people who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about is comical, but also can be irritating.

As I've said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm not against using female vocals again, but it would have to be in a unique way. Something people haven't heard from us. In my opinion, we forced in the female vocals on Fade a lot. A couple songs where we knew exactly what we wanted to do, and others where she was in the studio we said "Hey, lets have her sing over this part" and to me that was 100% the wrong thing to do, and when those moments on those songs arrive while listening to them, I cringe. We've learned a lot over the year, and we've built a good formula over the past 2 CDs that really work for us. I can't see us re-treading old ground, unless it was a totally unexpected and unique way, and NEVER in a full time capacity again. I mean, adding to a song to enhance a moment, to use a voice in the background instead of keys, sort of like how we utilized them on the first 2 CDs, maybe. We've never really been that "Beauty and the Beast" style band even when we did have the vocalist in the band.