Neal Morse , Like him or not?

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
I was wondering if there are any Neal Morse fans here. I never really got to heavy into spocks beard but I am digging his solo stuff. I would imagine that do to the Christian lyrics that it may have limited appeal here but you never know.

I can't stop spinning his latest album called "?". So what do you all think of Neal Morse?

My church, nicknamed the biker church, is hosting Kerry Livgren of Kansas fame in August and I am going to try and get Neal Morse to come as well. Should be one heck of a show.

Kenneth R. said:
? is great, as are Spock's Beard & Transatlantic. i'm definitely a fan of his stuff, before & after he committed to faith.

I do like Spocks Beard I just have not explored the entire catalog like I should have , but will now. I don't believe I have ever heard anything from Transatlantic only because I had dismissed it as a progathon. Don't get me wrong, I love prog alla Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Kansas, ELP, etc. but I do tend to get bored with some of it. I will check it out.

But you are right, ? is great. :worship:

Neal Morse, for me, is one of those guys that everything he touches is gold. His songwriting, and sense of melody, is impecable. ? is a great album and Spock's album V is one of my all time faves.

Absolutely. Neal Morse is one of my favorite songwriters right now. He can craft amazing songs. I remember back in the LP days, the label on the center of each LP would list the songs on each side and the writers of the songs. There were certain names that were gold. For example, when holding a Triumph LP, I knew that if I saw "(Emmett)" below the song title, it would be a great tune. Or, "(Kantner)" for Jefferson Starship, "(Shaw)" for Styx, etc. Neal Morse is one of my favorite go-to songwriters today.

<touchy feely paragraph alert!>

At first, I thought that the super religious lyrics would turn me off, but they actually don't. In fact, they help in a strange sort of way. The combination of lyrics and melody are so strong, I can actually feel the man's faith in his music. What I mean is, I don't feel the faith myself, but *his* faith is tangible, and it makes for a powerful listening experience. I defy anyone to listen to Cradle to the Grave off One and not be moved. I figure if I haven't gotten more religious by listening to his songs, I never will. Good thing I didn't hear this stuff in my more formative years, or I could be living a very different life right now!

Ken

I liked him a lot when he was in SB. I got to see the last "original" SB show in Milwaukee, and it kicked a ton of Prog ass. I REALLY don't like what they've done sine Neal left, and I really don't care for his solo stuff either...

J-Dubya

I absolutely _adore_ Neal Morse. I love his vocal phrasing...he's one of the few singers who can consistently bring me to tears (Richard Thompson being the only other who immediately jumps to mind). His solo stuff is amazing (especially "Testimony", even though it does get a bit Evangelical Protestanty for this Orthodox Christian), as is his work with the Beard, but the Transatlantic albums are, to me, the cream of the crop.

Whoever said that whatever Morse touches turns to gold would have no argument with me!

NP: Ice Age "The Great Divide" (anybody remember this classic?)

Neil Morse is an amazing musician who made a poor choice force feeding his religious beliefs through his music. I love everything Spocks Beard did,Transatlantic is amazing,and even the solo stuff is musically demanding and challenging. I bought the first one after Spock...but the lyrics make me fast forward to the musical parts,avoiding all the "god spoke to me" crap.
Heres the first vote for a re-united Spocks Beard show at next years ProgPower.

I'm in the same situation as FatesFan when it comes to Neal, Spock's Beard, and Transatlantic. I've never gotten into the latter two, but I can't get enough of Neal's solo stuff.

I'm a Christian, so his lyrics don't turn me off of course. Regardless, the man is a great song writer and musician. If you're open minded to all types of music and lyrics, I recommend checking Neal's solo stuff out.

In addition, hopefully Glenn will read this thread and possibly consider Neal for the lineup in the future.

I think I'd consider myself a fan. He's definitely a different kind of singer than most of the bands people in this forum would listen to, but he is very good at his style. I think more amazing is that he is quite a good keyboardist AND guitarist. He does some pretty cool jamming on both instruments in the Trans-Atlantic DVD I have.

Spock's Beard is coming to Jaxx in May and I'm curious to how they'll come across live without Neal. Nick is a decent singer, but without Neal that is one less strong vocalist in a live situation. Guess I'll find out in a few months.

Rickman

They will BLOW you away when you see them. They are much heavier live than you can imagine and the most incredible musicians around. The touring drummer Jimmy Keegan is off the hook. Nick has really come in to his own as the front man and these guys and a kick in the ass live. Ryo is a riot and you will here and see some of the funniest sh#@ imaginable. They have a differant sound and personality now but rock heavy and put on an amazing show. I watched in night in and out when we toured with them in 2003 in Europe.

And as far as Neal goes he is just one of those guys on another level from most of us he is truly special.

Cool post!

Rick Pierpont said:
I think I'd consider myself a fan. He's definitely a different kind of singer than most of the bands people in this forum would listen to, but he is very good at his style. I think more amazing is that he is quite a good keyboardist AND guitarist. He does some pretty cool jamming on both instruments in the Trans-Atlantic DVD I have.

Spock's Beard is coming to Jaxx in May and I'm curious to how they'll come across live without Neal. Nick is a decent singer, but without Neal that is one less strong vocalist in a live situation. Guess I'll find out in a few months.

TwizstedJesus said:
Neil Morse is an amazing musician who made a poor choice force feeding his religious beliefs through his music.

I would hardly call it force feeding as no one is making you eat it. And why would you say he has made a poor choice? I am sure he doesn't feel that way. I certainly don't feel that way. :Smug:

Seeing how he was pretty much the force behind Spock's, i think he made a good choice in moving to a solo career for his new message, and letting the rest of the band continue as they were. Both groups are awesome, and he didn't have to worry about turning SB into his platform.

FatesFan said:
I would hardly call it force feeding as no one is making you eat it. And why would you say he has made a poor choice? I am sure he doesn't feel that way. I certainly don't feel that way. :Smug:

Agreed. Shouldn't a songwriter write about what he knows? Or should Morse have stuck with writing concept albums about bald headed albinos? He probably gave up a fairly good paycheck to go solo, I can only respect him for following his own honest path. I'd rather listen to him singing about something that makes him passionate, even if it's not a viewpoint I happen to share.

Did Matt Smith make a poor choice when creating Theocracy? If it's a poor choice for someone to sing about his religious beliefs, is it a poor choice every time a black metal band sings about Satan? Was it a poor choice for Slayer to write Hell Awaits? I'd argue it's a poor choice for an adult with a brain and a decent vocabulary to write songs called "All Men Play On Ten".

Ken

I am a huge Neal Morse fan. I liked him with Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Yellow Matter Custard, ProgAid, and anything else he has done. I am an original member of his Inner Circle (kind of fan club) and will get everything he does as soon as it is released. He is one of the few that I can say that I can trust his music for purchase without hearing any of it. I think "?" (especially "12", which has a guest appearance from Steve Hackett) is the best recording in years. He is a true master in crafting songs and musical concepts. I also think that Mike Portnoy does his best work when he plays with NM because NM pushes the envelope so far.

BTW I also think "Octane" from Spock's Beard was amazing. "Euphoria" was kind of choppy, but they found their own with the second recording after parting with Neal.

Tommy

poor choice as in financially. I'm pretty sure the market for progressive religious music is not a very large one,and from what I've seen and heard,many of Neals fans from the Spocks days have bailed out due to lyrical content.
I give him credit for following his own path,and leaving the past behind to do so,but the shock of how up front the lyrical content was brought on the "force fed" comment.I realized that he had found God and was heading out to spread the word,but did anybody foresee that the lyrics would be that religious?Its more blatant than Stryper.

And the problem is??? It's his music and lyrics to write. If you like them, listen to them. If you don't, don't. If, however, you choose not to listen, I think you are missing out on one of the most creative minds in the business. He does not seem to mind that he may be playing to a limited audience. I am sure he would like to see it grow, but we have seen far too many sellout by doing what others influence them to do and he is one that I definitely hope will never go that route. If, for some reason, he did, it still is his choice and he is the one that must deal with the consequences. For now, I love what he is doing.

Tommy