Neal Morse/Spocks Beard

Theandromedastrain

eyeloveprog(Ben)
Sep 25, 2005
NJ
www.myspace.com
Hey, I haven't been on the forums in years actually. I've been to PPVI, PPVII, and PPVIII consecutively but haven't gone since unfortunately.

I'm wondering though if you all think Neal Morse could be a possible headliner one of the nights in a future Progpower? Because he has become one of my favorite bands and has some of the best prog ever in my opinion. He'd probably be the make or break for my future decision to come to the festival. I'm just wondering what the rest of you think on this.

I would have to say no way due to Neil's hardcore born again lyrics and he left spock's beard many years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love him and his music in all his bands but I doubt he would fit into the pp lineup. Maybe Transatlantic.

Yeah, Neal's probably a bit too polarizing, and just not heavy enough for the main bill.

However, personally, I think he's a great songwriter, and even if he sang about Rice Krispies, I'd still be a fan. I think it would be great if he got an invitation to do a side gig in The Loft, just like Seventh Wonder's doing this year. That way, since he would have a sizable crossover appeal with some in the PP crowd, those who wanted to see him (like me!) could, and it would be outside the normal bounds of the fest.

Ken

I would have to say no way due to Neil's hardcore born again lyrics and he left spock's beard many years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love him and his music in all his bands but I doubt he would fit into the pp lineup. Maybe Transatlantic.

Just what I was going to say. I don't see Transatlantic doing it either. Too light of a band and honestly, Transatlantic always sells out shows. I don't see them being attracted to this festival.

I think it would be great if he got an invitation to do a side gig in The Loft, just like Seventh Wonder's doing this year. That way, since he would have a sizable crossover appeal with some in the PP crowd, those who wanted to see him (like me!) could, and it would be outside the normal bounds of the fest.

Ken

Despite how polarizing he may be, The Loft is WAY too small of a venue for him. Again, I don't see him being attracted to this festival. Not to mention his solo stuff in particular is too light for the fest. I think he's a superb musician, don't get me wrong but he just doesn't fit.

Awful headliner choice.

1) Too light. It's a show that has no energy, really. Compare it to any other ProgPower USA headliners. There hasn't been a lighter one than this. It wouldn't get the crowd going at-all; aside from the progsnobs who need to learn how to bang their heads.
2) Oh yeah... those progsnobs would not actually come to the fest and sit through the other 11 bands to catch Neal/Spocks.

I think he would be a much more fitting artist for a festival like Nearfest or Rosfest.

I think he would be a much more fitting artist for a festival like Nearfest or Rosfest

He actually headlined some little festival last year in Pittsburgh, with Spock's Beard and Flower Kings also on the bill. I really wanted to go out for it, but couldn't quite pull it off.

I love Neal's solo works, despite the lyrics, and while I'd love to see him I don't think ProgPower is the time or place for him.

I have never been able to get into this guy's music. It's just too darned prog-lite for my taste. With that said, there's no questioning his talent and I don't see why he wouldn't fit the "odd ball" slot. (shrugs) I'd much rather see someone like him than say a DSO!

~Brian~

I enjoyed Spock's Beard a lot ten years ago, but haven't found that I stuck with it. Actually, a lot of my older prog interests have fallen to the heavier sound I mostly listen to. If I'm in the mood though, the Flower Kings, Spocks, sometimes Transatlantic can fill the bill.

BTW, if you like that type of music, check out a band called K2. http://www.myspace.com/k2ken

There is a Spock's tie in there with Ryo on the keyboards. Saw them a few years ago at a small club in San Diego, and they were fantastic. Very heavy Genesis/UK/Yes/ELP/etc vibe to it.

Trust me on this-- it is not a mix-- I have tried to blend in the prog elements in a metal festival, and it just doesn't work-- I have promoted solo metal shows and prog shows and watched the fanbase, and there is little overlap in between them. I love Neal and Spocks to death- but it just doesn't fit w/any metal shows. At the Transatlantic show that I recently did, NOBODY had heard of BARFEST, or any of the things i have done out here for years-- it was very interesting--

Gotta agree....Neil and Spock's Beard would be very out-of-place for PP itself. Maybe not for a festival kick-off gig, though; seems like there's been a bit more leeway there.....

Having said that, the one and only Spock's Beard performance I've seen -- at Dragon*Con in Atlanta, several years ago now -- is still one of the best and most talented shows I've ever seen. (With an audience of around 75 people...in a ballroom that will hold about 2,500. Oh, well.)

Spocks Beard played Rosfest and NearFest before, and this would definitely would be the place to see solo Neal show up.

NearFest would be your fest if you want prog with some heavier prog bands and fusion bands too. There is some crossover in bands that have played PP (Riverside, Enchant - Preparty PP), and definitely others that are heavier prog and I could see playing PP (Niacin, Planet X, Sean Malone, Porcupine Tree to name a few).

NearFest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEARfest

Spocks Beard played Rosfest and NearFest before, and this would definitely would be the place to see solo Neal show up.

NearFest would be your fest if you want prog with some heavier prog bands and fusion bands too. There is some crossover in bands that have played PP (Riverside, Enchant - Preparty PP), and definitely others that are heavier prog and I could see playing PP (Niacin, Planet X, Sean Malone, Porcupine Tree to name a few).

NearFest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEARfest

I've been to Nearfest twice. Although I really dislike 90% of the bands that play, and find the crowd to be one of the weirdest I've ever experience, they somehow end up nailing ONE band I really wanna see per year (case in point: Riverside, The Pineapple Thief, Pure Reason Revolution)

Well, many have said that neals lyrics/messages are too polarizing. I'd like to point out that Matt Smith's Theocracy were at Progpower recently, and like Morse, Smith's music is explicitly Christian.

Also, have any of you heard the live version of Author of Confusion from Morse? It's intensely heavy! Of course, not as heavy as, say, Pagan's Mind, but heavy for him and I think it would be neat to actually have him on a showcase night as the headliner. It'd be a nice treat plus many of you already have total respect for the band.