Nearfest & Queensryche/DreamTheater/FatesWarning

NoRehearsal

New Metal Member
Sep 23, 2002
New York
Visit site
This is a response to Sean's questions about Nearfest, but I just saw Queensryche/DreamTheater/FatesWarning at Jones Beach Friday so thought I'd throw that in as well.

Nearfest was interesting. As usual, my opinions seem to differ from the average atendee at Nearfest, but I have to say that I liked alot of the bands. I was upset that we were late due to a traffic jam and I only caught 5 minutes of High Wheel, because they sounded great. Alamaailman Vasarat was a pleasant surprise for me.. very entertaining, versatile and talented. Flower Kings, Glass Hammer and Anglagard were also very good, and it was a great surprise to see Richard Williams of Kansas show up and perform Portrait with Glass Hammer!! I don't want to say anything negative about bands I wasn't into, but I'll just say it's interesting that I was told Pain of Salvation is too heavy for Nearfest and they are not taking progmetal bands, yet Sleepytime Gorilla Museum featured growling and screaming. Though I am a hugh Alice Cooper fan and enjoy theatrics, I didnt undertand Sleepytime Museum but others loved them. I also didn't understand Magma's music, and Tunnels was too abstract for me. I never got to see Camel because the 2nd day show was running over 2 hours late which was interesting since on the 1st day they wouldn't let Flower Kings do an encore saying they couldn't afford to pay overtime. Anglagard, however, was permitted to do 2-3 encores on the 2nd day. Anglagard's songs average something like 15 minutes in length.

QUEENSRYCHE WAS GREAT!! Geoff Tate's voice was amazing, better than when I saw them for Empire. Great songs. I don't want to give away the whole set list (if someone wants me to I will) but Tate hit every note in "Speak", and there were a couple of songs I didn't expect, and a great encore at the end with Dream Theater and Queensryche combined (they did something older than Speak). They never announced the band members and I can't recognize anybody but Tate at this point, but I believe Chris DeGarmo was there because the guitars were perfect. I just wished that Queensryche had the longer set, but Dream Theater was the headliner that night.

I like Dream Theater alot & have seen them several times, and this was one of their more self-indulgent performances. Strange song choices including the full version of "The Necromancer" by Rush and absolutely nothing from their latest Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence album. Still they sounded great and brought Queensryche back for their encore which was cool. I like Fates Warning as well, and they were very good though their sound was bad which was distracting. Ray Adler's voice was excellent. So was James LaBrie's. Spock's Beard drummer played with Fates Warning and did a great job.

I agree about Queensryche... they were simply incredible when I saw them in Pittsburgh. Chris DeGarmo is NOT touring with them.

You're lucky Dream Theater didn't play anything from "Six Degrees", in my opinion... that album is :yuk:

Generally, most of the Nearfest acts don't interest me... I prefer something with an "edge" like Enchant.

NoRehearsal said:
I never got to see Camel because the 2nd day show was running over 2 hours late which was interesting since on the 1st day they wouldn't let Flower Kings do an encore saying they couldn't afford to pay overtime. Anglagard, however, was permitted to do 2-3 encores on the 2nd day. Anglagard's songs average something like 15 minutes in length.

NoRehearsal,
Too bad you didnt see Camel. I didnt feel like shelling out $75+ for just Camel at NF (I like Flower Kings too but they bore me at times b/c they are too retro), so fortunately they played the next day at the Birchmere in Arlington, VA by themselves. They were excellent. Andy Latimer is an awesome emotional guitarist. Not a guitar god like Doug:Spin:, but still one of the best. I loved their setlist also, hitting the best songs from every album. As it turns out the drummer got sick, and they had to cancel the remaining N American shows. So I am lucky boy.

Jim

Hrmph. I liked the latest Dream Theater release. The second disk (the one covering assorted mental disorders) was really quite good, imo.

Then again, I also have an afro the size of a volkswagon van, so what do I know.

I saw the same show NoRehearsal did...all three bands put on great performances, and DT's always unpredictable song selection adds to the experience IMO...as for Nearfest, I just read an in-depth concert report at Progressive World and was struck by the numerous contradictions...still would have loved to attend it and I'll definitely watch the online broadcasts when they become available.

What was your reaction when Fates, along with Mike Portnoy, broke into Shutdown?

Just got home from the DT/QR concert....my random thoughts....

First - on Fates....Joey Vera was great! Alder has blue hair now - the bottom 8 inches or so. He sounded great though, despite the hair, which looks really weird. I'm not much of a FW fan, so that's about it from me. On the other hand, I'm a HUGE DT fan, and I am a moderate QR fan...so I was glad to hear 4 1/2 songs from Mindcrime - that is my fave QR CD and certainly the one I know best. Was disappointed there was no Revolution tonight. Geoff Tate looks like Satch now, LOL! And his voice was great, but not as great as LaBrie's, whose was the best in the last three times I've seen them - all in the last twelve months. Jordan cut his hair/shaved his head too - so he looks like Satch too, LOL! And -- OK everyone, sit down for this, this is MAJOR NEWS FROM DREAM THEATER CAMP -- there was a MISTAKE made during Another Day...the first note of the Sax part didn't materialize! Reports differ as to whether is was 'operator error' or 'equipment failure', but it's now official - they ARE human, LOL! :) No matter -- this was the best DT show of the three....LaBrie nailed EVERY note...they played half of the third CD's worth of songs from the live Scenes From a Memory - first, the medley, then Voices, and when they gracefully slid into Silent Man I nearly fell over (LOVE that song!) and then I got a little excited, thinking, ooooo, oooo, Mr. Kotter, Mr Kotter - are we going to get A Change of Seasons too???? Alas, no....but we did get Solitary Shell -- and they opened with Glass Prison so we had two from 6DOIT. :) Metroplis Part I totally kicked ass as did Dance of Eternity ---- schweeeeet! The grand finale tonight? Nope, not Comfortably Numb....not The Spirit Carries On (although THAT would have been way cool)...no, go back back back....The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again!!! Loved Mike and Scott BOTH wailing on Mike's drums!!!! AWESOME!!! Having all 10 of them up there waas just too cool! I jumped around so much
jump3.gif
I don't think I need that morning walk tomorrow! :) (Yeah, I had a great time!!!!)
supergrin.gif

By 'your friendly music reviewer and hairstyle commentator' LOL!

Hey Ed! Here is the set list that I can remember:
Open Your Eyes
My Global Mind (Ok, I was a bit worried at this point)
??? (I think this was an old song I haven't heard in a while, maybe The Whisper, but I'm not sure)
Screaming in Digital!! (I was happy now)
I am I
Damaged
Empire
Jet City Woman
Silent Lucidity
I Remember Now
Anarchy-X
Revolution Calling
Speak
Eyes of a Stranger
Encore: Desert Dance
Best I Can

Geoff Tate also teamed with Dream Theater for The Spirit Carries On and then both bands performed Take Hold of the Flame. Tate's voice was excellent, and I was surprised how well he did Revoltion, Speak & Screaming in Digital. As someone mentioned, James LaBrie did a great job with Take Hold and everything else. He hits high notes effortlessly. The comparison between LaBrie & Tate doesn't make sense to me though. They have two completely different voices. For me, Tate has a quality to his voice that is hard for anyone to match whether he's hitting all of his old notes or not (he got a standing ovation for one of the notes he hit during Take Hold). He also has alot more singing to do live since DT plays such huge instrumentals during their songs. Incidentally, I don't care what Tribe sounds like, I'm buying it.

I thought it was cool when Fates Warning & Portnoy broke into Shutdown but since Fates' set was only 25 minutes, I'd rather have heard other FW stuff. I love Fates & had never seen them before, so I really want to see them again with a full set, keyboardist, etc. Would love to hear Through Different Eyes (almost as much as I want to hear Enchant play Aquaintance live!), Eleventh Hour, Islands in the Stream & a bunch of their other songs live. Sounds like Dream Theater did some cool songs in that other performance, but I'm glad I got to see The Spirit Carries On rather than Wont Get Fooled. Ok, that does it for my lengthy posts! I will now go back to my infrequent short blurbs. :)

Thanks everyone for the posts! good info!

Mark thanks for that set list! There are a few in there I was really hoping they would do! especially the Mindcrime and Empire stuff! Last time I saw them it was an amazing show! that was a while ago! and before that they opened for Kiss? remember that night Doug :) talk about years ago :)