Nearfield monitor recommendations under $800?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Anyone able to recommend me some good nearfields in the $800 (for the pair) or less range?

Some stuff I was looking at:

Event TR8s
M-Audio BX8as
Tannoy Reveal 5as
Yamaha HS80Ms
Mackie HR824s

Also possibly willing to spring the extra $100 for a pair of KRK VXT 6s if it would be really worth it...

I have Tannoy Reveals (the old red passive ones) and I am not very happy with them. I don't know exactly what it is but my mixes sound great on these monitors (even when A/B-ing the mix with professional recordings) and as soon as I listen to the mix on any other stereo it sucks. It is lacking highs, bass is too much, reverb is too much. Maybe it's my room or my ears but just my 2 (euro) cents here.

I have Tannoy Reveals (the old red passive ones) and I am not very happy with them. I don't know exactly what it is but my mixes sound great on these monitors (even when A/B-ing the mix with professional recordings) and as soon as I listen to the mix on any other stereo it sucks. It is lacking highs, bass is too much, reverb is too much. Maybe it's my room or my ears but just my 2 (euro) cents here.

Sounds like an acoustics issue to me.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I have a pair of Event ASP8 monitors for sale within your budget. They are a step above the other monitors on your list!

Send me a PM if you are interested.

+1 on the M-Audio BX8A monis. I took a few CD's into Guitar Center of commercial releases and my own projects that I have mixed and out of the "budget" nearfields the BX8's owned them all IMO. The clearest by far.

I still want a pair of JBL's LSR4XXX series eventually, but until then I'm shooting for the BX8's to replace my huge hi-fi setup.

~e.a

Hi devouredremains and everybody's x. I thought these monitors might just be a little to cheap to deliver, although I did not hear that much bad about them. I will definitely check my room first (and soon) before I go out and buy some new monitors. Thanx!
everybody's x: what exactly did you do to your room for the $200?

Hi devouredremains and everybody's x. I thought these monitors might just be a little to cheap to deliver, although I did not hear that much bad about them. I will definitely check my room first (and soon) before I go out and buy some new monitors. Thanx!
everybody's x: what exactly did you do to your room for the $200?
buy as much of this as you can

just don't buy it all I need more

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASE-6-PANELS-2-ACOUSTIC-TREATMENT-OWENS-CORNING-703_W0QQitemZ150188816596QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20594QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

buy as much of this as you can

just don't buy it all I need more

Shoot I got 12 pannels for this price at a local place. Definetly look local first and then ebay if no insulation stores are near you. For a little over 200.00 total I built 6 pannels with nice fabric and wood frames.

Musician's Friend has HR824s on sale for $399/pair... would you guys still recommend the BX8as over those at that price? They have a pair of BX8as at my local store for $385 which I think is a damn good price so I might have to pick them up tomorrow...

What about the TR8s?

I looked at quite a few reviews for M Audio's bx8a and they were very mixed. I think personally I'm going for the Yamaha hs80m. I was going back and forth between the Event and Yamaha at guitar center. The Yamaha are a little cheaper though and i guess they translate very very well. I do like the Event also but I'm pretty set on those Yamaha's!

How about Genelec 8020? They're about 500 euros, so that's about 800 dollars I guess.

I haven't heard much about the new 824's, not sure if they've changed at all from the original. I used the original 824's at the old studio and liked them a lot. We also had a pair of Event TR8's, which were *very* similar to the 824's, at a fraction of the cost and seemed to be just a little more clear on the bottom end. The attraction of the 824's is the huge bass response you can get from them, almost hi-fi sounding, instead of terribly flat. For mixing, I never used them exclusively because of that reason, but I definitely used them for reference. The TR8's and the KRK RP-8's were probably the most used monitors there. The RP-8's are decent too.

If MF is selling a pair of 824's for $399 it might be worth the investment to just snatch those up and re-sell them on eBay for full price. Kinda dick, but hey, you can get $500+ for each monitor. Then you can invest in a nice pair that is flatter than the 824's :)

~e.a

Looking again I think they are on sale $399 each, which still isn't bad. I don't know why I thought a pair of them could be had for $800 brand new normally, I must have mistaken the price for a pair.

elephant-audio, would you go with the BX8a's over the Event TR8s? So far I'm leaning towards the BX8a's based on what I've gathered of the cost/performance ratio...