Neck Crack Used Guitar

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Not sure if this would be considered just the paint or actual wood. This is a 2010 Gibson explorer that I got for $700 brand spanking new except for this crack. (I will post again with better pics these are hard to see) but want to know from you guys if I need to return this or this is just a finish damage.

Replaced with new photos*

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

That looks like it is just in the paint. IMO Wood doesn't break strait across like that. Judging by the dents in the back of the headstock it may have been dropped. It looks like the neck just flexed a little bit and the paint cracked. I can't really see a space between the neck and fretboard or the nut. I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a problem any guitar luthier can fix it easily.

$700 is actually a really good price for a new one of those, it was probably tagged as such BECAUSE of the cosmetic damage

Most of the time finish cracks in odd areas like that are due to excess amounts of underlying stress beneath the paint. If there is a surface crack in that area, it wouldn't surprise me if the actual wood underneath already has started some hairline fissures as well. :\ Sucks dude. Hope it works out for you. Best bet would be to take it to an experienced Luthier and have them give you their professional opinion.

If you can return it for a full refund or exchange for another one, that would save you a lot of undue stress and anguish probably in the long-run.

I still say you take it to a Luthier for their opinion. Or if it's worrying you this much just return it for a refund/swap if possible.

Looks like finish cracks but what would worry me is how they are placed. Especially the ones near the nut and on the fretboard. It was definitely dropped and there was allot of stress in that area. I'd almost be afraid that in a year or so the crack would start splitting and revealing further damage underneath.

You can remove the strings and try to see if you can feel any movement in the headstock and see if there's something weird happening around the cracks. Be very careful tho or have it checked by a Luthier. It might be fine and it could just be finish cracks but I'd personally return it and save my money for something i know won't have any issues.

Looks to me like the guitar fell face first and the first thing to hit was the nut on the floor. That caused the finish on both sides to crack in that fashion, i really think there is something deeper though. Its probably stable enough if you dont drop it again, but my personal preference would be to return it.

I do think the price is because of these issues. For the price even if you have to repair it in a year or 2 its probably worth it.