Got a problem with my NUT?!

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
As I was inspecting my Gibson Explorer I noticed that the finish has two very slight cracks on both sides of the neck right next to the nut (as pictured). I tried to capture the cracks with the camera but they're soo small the camera wouldn't capture it in great detail.
  • I'm curious if this will be a long term problem with the guitar?
  • Will this eventually split more?
  • Is there a way to file it down or smooth it out?
  • Or is this OK and I'm just being paranoid? ;)
Thanks!
P.S. Please don't turn this into a Gibson Sucks Thread cuz I might just end up with an ESP :heh:
hre.jpg

I'm curious if this will be a long term problem with the guitar?
Only if it breaks.
Will this eventually split more?
Possibly.
Is there a way to file it down or smooth it out?
Not really. It's a crack.
Or is this OK and I'm just being paranoid? ;)

This happens to plastic nuts. It is because they are shit. Replace the nut with a graphite one or better yet, Earvana. Plastic and graphite nuts are cheap, nothing to worry about, and you can easily replace it yourself. You can leave the plastic nut on there until it breaks, unless it sounds bad or is giving you tuning problems. It may never break... I once got a korean made guitar, brand new, and the nut broke on the low E on the first day!

I can't see shit. Don't you have a macro mode in your camera?

No, I used two different cameras and couldn't get good detail on the crack. No marco mode :/

Wait... are the cracks in the nut, the neck or the fretboard?

Ya sorry I didn't clarify that well. The cracks are on both sides of the neck. It looks as if the nut got pressed down too hard and cracked the nitrocellulose finish on both sides if that makes sense. It's very small but bothers me...

Hmm, I don't think there's too much stress on that spot, so I wouldn't worry about it - sounds like crappy Gibson finish work, I'd expect no less! :heh: (oops, guess I shouldn't have said that :saint: )

probably just a finish crack, the nut is probably not seated and every time you change strings it changes the pressure on the finish

I wish I could get my SG refinished with some sort of modern finish that didn't get all gunky when I played it. Maybe then it would see more time out of the case! I've even had thoughts about taking sandpaper to the neck. Best sounding guitar I own, hands down, but god damn that fucking finish.

Hmm, I don't think there's too much stress on that spot, so I wouldn't worry about it - sounds like crappy Gibson finish work, I'd expect no less! :heh: (oops, guess I shouldn't have said that :saint: )

LOL :lol:

probably just a finish crack, the nut is probably not seated and every time you change strings it changes the pressure on the finish

I think the nut is seated fine because even when I removed the strings the cracks still seemed the same size. I'm just curious if the crack will spread over time?! :/

I wish I could get my SG refinished with some sort of modern finish that didn't get all gunky when I played it. Maybe then it would see more time out of the case! I've even had thoughts about taking sandpaper to the neck. Best sounding guitar I own, hands down, but god damn that fucking finish.

It's the fuckin nitrocellulose! I personally dig the polyurethane finish on almost all other guitars but it doesn't bother me that much. If Gibson changes 1 little thing about the way they make their guitars then Gibson heads will fuckin slit their wrists and worship the devil.

Thank you everyone! Anyone else have any insight on this?

Nah I was referring to the OP but thanks for the info... I could have sworn I read somewhere that they stopped using it way before 2000....

Man Gibson will hardly ever change anything about their guitars, like I said earlier Gibson heads would have a panic attack. :lol:

Even without changing things they say the new ones are shit, so I'd just drop the wankers...

Jeff

Well you shouldn't always listen to what "they say" and try them out see what ya think. ;) I've known some people that have had quality issues but nothing that Gibson didn't fix. (Good customer service) Hand crafted instruments will have their inconsistencies. (Hopefully nothing major :erk:) I'm a strong believer in the saying "beauty is the eye beholder" man, so I say go with whatever guitar suits you best and take other people's opinions with a grain of salt. Live and learn. :kickass:

I wasn't making fun of Gibson, I was making fun of wankers who think new anything is shit.

Jeff

Oh my apologies man! Yeah +1 to that. I dig the "traditional" Gibsons if you will, but man there are some pretty damn good guitars coming from "newer" brands. I love the construction of my Gibson but my main gripe about a company like Gibson, Fender, etc. is they don't equip their guitars with good pups, hardware, and so on. Anyways my two cents. Take it easy!