Fender strat humbucker and nut suggestions

grubbavitch

Metal Strat!
Nov 30, 2009
Tasmania
I've got a '96 Lone Star strat that I want to customise to make it more metal appropriate. Customisation is my only option as I can't afford another guitar and don't want to sell this one. I need some guidance from those with more experience as to humbucker and nut options.

Any suggestions for a passive humbucker to replace the Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge? The guitar is alder, with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Musical style is melodic metal/metalcore/heavy rock.

The nut is also due to be replaced, any ideas for an upgrade?

Cheers!

single EMG-89 in the bridge, 1 hum pickgaurd, 1 volume \m/

That's what I did to my 2000 MIM Standard anyway - love it! As for nut, Graphtech makes a good one, or you can always do bone... comes down to budget and such.

...or the 89 will sound good too, but you have to make a hole in the back for the batery.

I stash my battery under the pickgaurd in the control cavity... they last quite a long time. I'm sure I will survive the 15 total minutes a year I'll spend taking the pg off, replacing battery, putting pg back on haha.

Thanks for the responses. Obviously the guitar tech at the local music store here sucks, he couldn't get my Fender to play nicely in Drop C let alone way down there. Must learn to do this myself.

So far I'm interested in the Graphtech nut and bridge saddle packages, bit apprehensive about the bone, but on the other hand, Lasse suggested it and he knows his stuff. Will have to dig for more info. In the meantime, anyone tried the String Saver bridge saddles?

As for humbuckers, I've started leaning towards the D Activator-X, just think it would suit my guitar by taming the brightness. Any known issues with this choice?

Yeah that's the X2N description, I looked at that originally as X2N + alder is thought to be a good match (Death!) but decided the D Activator-X might suit my guitar as it pumps out the mids and rolls off the highs a little more. At least going from the diagram on the Dimarzio site anyway. Will do more reading.

The D Activator-X description talks about allowing the highs to "open up" and I'm not precisely sure that's what I want.

In terms of dynamic response versus high output, I think I would prefer a high output passive pickup until I can afford a mahogany guitar w/EMGs to compliment the Strat. Then I might go for something more versatile and expressive and keep the Strat for leads. I doubt I'll be using the humbucker for clean sounds either, the Texas Specials on this girl sound huge and full, particularly the neck p'up.

Thanks heaps for the clips wutz, haven't been able to listen to them through a decent system yet but I appreciate the effort and input. You're a champ! :kickass:

I have a dimarzio Air Zone in my Main Guitar. Sounds Awesome.
I wouldn't put EMGs in there. Strats have enough Attack and Treble naturally. Find something with a lot of Bass and Mids and a good Picking response, so you can dial in Distorted tones without getting killed by the high end. A dynamic (responsive) pickup is good if you use a Tubescreamer in front of your amp, mainly because you will be able to dial in much more gain without everything turning to overcompressed mud.

Listen to these samples I recorded with my Strat:
Drop G#, no Tubescreamer

Drop B, with Tubescreamer

Twangy Rock

Hope I could help!

Excellent and very unusual tone. It's that 'wah-y' Dimarzio tone which lends it a vivid, modern edge, yet it's organic and breathes. Makes it kinda 'ethereal' - noticeably more open than the Tone Zone or my Evolution. Oh, really like your sense of melody and harmony in the second song too.

Graphtech supercharger kit is in the mail, looking forward to the both the tuning stability and potential sustain gain. Anyone noticed the reduced highs after installation that their website mentions? This might actually help warm up my guitar.

And I ordered the D Activator-X, time will tell how wise a decision that was. But until I get a guitar w/actives I really wanted the next best thing, a high output passive. If it doesn't work out I can always swap in something else.