Humbucker for Ash Strat

kvoid

May 27, 2008
Alright so I got this American Deluxe Fat Strat with a Premium Ash Body (what a fucking mouthful, lol) of 2000 vintage, and it has two decent Vintage Noiseless singlecoils, but the humbucker (apparently a Fender Hot Rod) is a total disaster. Bridge palm mutes result in flub flub under even moderate gain, the thing is honk city on clean, really terribad. I've decided to give the guitar a chance to redeem itself, so I'm wondering if you guys could recommend a nice passive pickup. I was thinking of the obvious choice, the DiMarzio Super Distortion and a coil split option, but I'm worried it might be a tad bit too bright with the ash body/rosewood fretboard. It really is a beautiful guitar and in speckless condition so I'm kinda reluctant to pass it on, but as is my 180$ hollowbody Yamaha rapes it for metal, and for stratty stuff the G&L USA Legacy I've got pissess all over it (not to mention it is really a better guitar in every respect).

X2N perhaps?

Maybe something SD or BK? Wylde L500XL? I'm open to any suggestions but it MUST be a high output humbucker so that it splits well, so I can do both Metal and lamer stuff on one guitar.