I want a Strat!!

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, so I want a Strat guitar. I have a Fender American 25th Anniversary, but it was my grandfather's and I would rather not take that out to bars, I'd be paranoid of it getting hurt every second it wasn't in it's case safely tucked away at home. SO! I was looking into a Fender AmDeluxe with Swamp Ash body and rosewood fingerboard. I found an AmDeluxe with the same finish I want but in alder body instead of ash at a local shop. I liked it, but since it wasn't the ash, I couldn't really make a decision. Plus it was a maple fingerboard, and I hate that. Anyway...since I would have to order one from the store, meaning I give them $300-they order it-I have to buy it even if I don't like it-I'm out $1200 and I have a guitar I don't like, I would rather shell out the same amount (or less actually) to have a custom one made from Warmoth.

The way I see it, I would have a custom axe with things I would want, instead of a Fender Strat that was nice but was lacking some things I wanted. So I was looking through their customer gallery and found the strat which I have attached a pic of. I fell in love, and almost started to drool. But the customer's notes say it's a "bocote" top, which I've never heard of, and is not offered (seemingly) by Warmoth at this time. I was assuming he was mistaken and I was going to guess it was koa, but then I realized that the grain is too much for koa, at least any koa I've ever seen for that matter. Can anybody figure out what kind of wood it is?

As for mine, it would be that top, with white binding, a Wilkinson trem with Fishman acoustic system, white binding on the neck and headstock, ebony fingerboard w/ some dark wooded neck, mahogany or swamp ash back for the body, dunno what pickups or configuration really, and Sperzel locking tuners. Any ideas on pickups? I want a hummer in the bridge for sure, but a single coil in the neck would be cool. A middle p/u could be there or not, doesn't really matter to me. I want to get a Strat-y tone, but I also want to have a different sound as well, yanno? This guitar will probably get the most use for blues-rock (SRV, Black Crowes, etc.) type stuff. So it has to cover the modern sound as well as the old school (SRV style) sound too. Post your thoughts!

~006

http://www.guitar-dominion.com/006/warmothstrat.jpg

I owned a 40th Strat and I didn't like it. But that is a nice looking guitar! Not sure what kind of wood that is though.

Oh cool, I never thought to just google the wood, lol. That appears to be an exact description of the wood in that pic. I guess it's one of those special request things. I e-mailed Warmoth about the wood in the picture but still no response. I guess I should call them and just ask if it's possible for them to make a bocote top for the Strat. Thanks again.

~006