.:OT:. Painting my new Rhoads V

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Don't know why but this 006 on the neck makes me think of Scott Ian...

LOL.

The headstock painting is staying, it looks fine to me. Which white ones? The SD's or the DiMarzio's? They are both equally as good to me, so now I just want them to figure out which one looks best for this paint job.

~006

Besides my nickname for the past...10 years or so? 006 was Alec Trevelyan, which if you're a James Bond freak like me, you would know that he was a higher ranked agent for her majesty's sercret service. He was so evil that he stabbed James Bond in the back, metaphorically speaking. He's the only one who's ever been able to trick Bond completely without him finding out, he only found out because Trevelyan revealed himself.

Anyway, thats the short version, if you want to find out the longer, full version, watch GoldenEye. :p

The significance of it being my nickname over the past...almost 11 years...was because when I was younger I would play a lot of practical jokes on friends. Me and my friends had teams, Red Team, and Blue Team. We basically just drove around all the time taking shit, or breaking stuff from people's houses in random neighborhoods. Like taking Mexican flags and replacing them with American flags, and vice versa. We took mailboxes, random lawn gnomes...all kinds of crap. We would get in the car and say "red team go," and that was the phrase when somebody wanted to go do something stupid. We kept scores too...just being goofy. ANYWAY...I would drive around during XMas time and I had a Ford F-150 truck, a friend of mine would be in the bed, and I would drive, and we would go around and steal people's lawn decorations. I mean, gigantic scenes, some wooden elves, some metal wired deer that lit up (some were even motorized), big air inflated snowmen and santa's. If they didn't have anything cool to take, we would pull out a light bulb from their strand, which made the entire thing go out. If they had the old school lights that screwed in, we'd just wrap one end to my trailer hitch and take off. It would yank the whole setup out and it would drag behind us. Well...anyway, one time, we destroyed...no...a better word would be...deleted this guy's decorations. I mean, it was elaborate as fuck. Huge air inflated snowmen and santa's, motorized deer, lights out the ass, candy canes in the ground...all kinds of crap. We nearly got all of it, just broke some stuff and took some stuff. We later went up to our usual hang-out, which was a coffee house downtown, really cool, it was 24 hours and you could drink coffee and smoke cigarettes and just talk and chill as long as you wanted. This guy we just met, who started hanging out with us, met us up there to hang out. And the first thing he says when he gets to the table is, "guys, you'll never guess what the fuck just happened." We, of course, go, "what?". He says, "somebody fucking demolished my parent's entire yard full of decorations. Some of it is gone, some of it was just destroyed and left there...I mean, holy shit." Me and my friend Matt, my partner in crime and also the bassist in my band, just look at each other and look back and say "damn dude, that sucks. So did you see anything?" and he said "nah, I was playing guitar in my room, parents were asleep." We said "ah, damn". To this day, years later, he still doesn't know it was us. We had no idea it was his house. And so my friends all knew the story, and they said "that's like fucking 006, just fucked his shit up and he has no idea it was you." And to this day, they still call me and say "whats up double-o?", or we'll be talking and they'll go "yeah dude six said we were playing on Thursday." Bla bla.

Whew. Long story.

~006

Actually, I have a friend that went to luthier school. His best work includes rediculously elaborate shell inlay scenes of sea creatures and horticulture. I've seen a lot of really amazing looking stuff that he's done, plus he's my friend, so I trust him. He said he'd do the work for free, he loves Van Halen so I guess I lucked out hehe, I just have to supply the materials/pay for them. So a peice of ebony for a new finger board, new fret wire, binding material, a sheet of MOP inlay material...talkin like $70 in materials, plus $45 for the paint materials, $120-200 for pickups, $60 for new tuners = $290-370 (depending on pickups) total. Add the $300 for the guitar itself, $590-670 for custom guitar. Which most of the customizing is done by myself. Not a bad deal, IMO. And the only thing I would have different from a real custom shop would be neck-thru body...I can live with the bolt-on, :p. Plus this gives me a chance to try a bunch of shit out and not worry about my expensive guitar taking the abuse, heh.

~006

bravo. I've done a similar thing myself, except I designed and shaped the body & neck myself, and did all the wiring. I had someone make me a fretboard. :)

It really is quite the experience

I think I'm going to go with EMG's in this one. I debated with myself all night, especially after talking to James Murphy online, and it's what I wanted to go with originally. I started looking at passives because I figured the guitar itself was too cheap to worry about actives, but it's not all that bad of a guitar, and I feel it will be worth it.

Here's three mock ups with EMG-85's, one in the white set, one in the black set, one white with black bezels, and one black with white bezels:
EMG-White.jpg

EMG-Black.jpg

EMG-White-Blackbezel.jpg

EMG-Black-Whitebezel.jpg

~006