.:OT:. Painting my new Rhoads V

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, so I have this Rhoads V I just bought, and I started thinking of things I could do to it that I would never dream of doing to any of my nicer guitars. I decided to paint it. I really like the EVH guitar with the stripes on it, always have thought it was a neat look. This guitar right now is too plain for my taste, with the dot inlays and no binding, it's just *too* plain. All of my guitars (except my vintage Fender Strat) have binding somewhere on them, and/or different inlays than just plain dots. I gotta spice this thing up a bit. So I made a mock-up in PhotoShop of my guitar, and I started e-doodling and came up with an idea. I can change the color scheme, but this was the first idea that popped into my head as far as colors go.
Template1.jpg

Now, I definitely am thinking about getting the neck and headstock bound with white binding, and maybe no inlays or a custom inlay just at the 12th fret, on a new fingerboard. But for right now, definitely starting off with a paint job and pickup replacement. Thoughts?

~006

I liek your no inlay idea or just the 12th fret inlay, but how would you remove the inlays and fill them? whatever you would do it wouldn't match the grain on the wood of the fretboard. Or were you considering just buying a whole new fret board? That way you could get the binding on it too.....

I was going to send the neck out to a guy I know to replace the finderboard. He can either just put a new one on and refret and leave the board blank, or he can do any custom inlay I would like. Still haven't decided on anything yet with that.

Here's two new pics, 1st one is with gray stripes instead of white. The 2nd is the same, but with no dots on the fretboard. Both have a crap binding thing on the neck I just threw on real fast:
GREYRED.jpg

GREYREDNOINLAY.jpg

~006

I can't decide between the white or gray stripes. The white seems kinda bright but at the same time the gray looks kinda dull compared to the white.
Maybe go gray AND white? Either way I like the no inlay look much better.
If it was me though, I'd get some custom inlays.

Man, I'm getting confused now. This is starting to make my head spin! :Spin:
I think I like the Thick white stripes better. Let us know what you decide.

Good point, I'll mess with it in a couple of hours, gotta finish some editing so I can send this band's cd out to our mastering guy. Fun work!

~006

Oh I know Ken, it's just I want to do it like a factory paint job. That's why I bought that e-book, the guy knows how to do it, and it's specifically for the 5150 style. Like the tape thing, he shows you how to properly pull the tape off so you don't fuck up the lines and peel up paint, the way he said NOT to do it, is probably how I would have done it had I not known, and I would have had to start all over again. Perfect example. Plus, doing it like this guy shows you, it'll come out like a pro job, but only as long as you follow his directions exactly, which is how I'm gonna do it. Anyway, my friend said the gray is too dull looking. So I made this one:
Newest.jpg

I like it.

~006

I really like it alot. I'm really happy with how the whole thing came out. Hopefully I can get it done now. I'm going to go buy the paint this weekend sometime. Then, I'm going to send the neck off to get the custom inlay, new fretboard, and binding done to it. New pickups and Sperzel/Schaller locking tuners when it's all finished. In the end, it'll be an $800+ custom guitar, :).

~006

Ok, now that I've been looking at pups, It's a toss between the DiMarzio X2N, and the Seymour Duncan Custom. Here's a few mock-ups with the different ones in them (black and white pups):
BlackDuncans.jpg

BlackDiMarzioX2N.jpg

WhiteDuncans.jpg

WhiteDiMarzioX2N.jpg

Which ones? I like the white X2N's look more, personally. Whaddya think?

~006