NECROPHAGIA Vocalist And Founder FRANK 'KILLJOY' PUCCI Dies At 48

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
NECROPHAGIA frontman Killjoy passed away this morning (Sunday, March 18), the band has confirmed. The vocalist, whose real name was Frank Pucci, was 48 years old. No cause of death has yet been released. Pucci's NECROPHAGIA bandmates announced his death in a Facebook post earlier today. Drummer Shawn Slusarek, guitarist Serge Streltsov and bassist Jake Arnette said in a joint statement: "We are so shocked and saddened to bring you the news of our dear brother Killjoy passing away this morning. We are at a loss for words. R.I.P brother you are forever in our hearts. We will cherish our moments together forever." REPULSION's Scott Carlson mourned Pucci's passing, writing in a Facebook post: "Just heard the sad news that Killjoy of NECROPHAGIA has gone into The Beyond. He and I began trading our bands' demos way back in '85 or so. He was a real sweetheart and a true aficionado of underground horror and music." Pucci formed NECROPHAGIA in 1983 and released the band's debut album, "Season Of The Dead", in 1987. Pucci was the sole remaining original member in NECROPHAGIA's most recent lineup, which issued its latest LP, "WhiteWorm Cathedral", in 2014. PANTERA frontman Philip Anselmo reportedly offered to write a NECROPHAGIA more than a decade a half ago, which then became the subject of much speculation. In later interviews, Pucci talked about how the scheduling conflicts had just proven to be too much, forcing him and Anselmo to end their proposed NECROPHAGIA collaboration. "Philip is a great guy; he's like a brother to me. Unfortunately, due to extreme scheduling conflicts and previous commitments we will not be working together any longer," Pucci said in a 2002 interview. Pucci said that he first met Philip in 1990, bonding over their "mutual passion for true horror. He resurrected NECROPHAGIA in 1997 by writing some truly dark, horrific music that persuaded me to start doing music and NECROPHAGIA again," Frank said. Killjoy and Anselmo did manage to write and record together as members of Philip's VIKING CROWN project, which released two full-length albums and an EP in the late '90s and early 2000s.

We are so shocked and saddened to bring you the news of our dear brother Killjoy passing away this morning. We are at a...

Posted by Necrophagia (official) on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Just heard the sad news that Killjoy of Necrophagia has gone into The Beyond. He and I began trading our band’s demos...

Posted by Scott Carlson on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Continue reading...