Need a good preamp (for live-usage)

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
OK, as some of you might've understood what I asked from the topic, but I'll put the requirements here:

- single channel preamp/channelstrip, intended to use for lead vocalist
- 1 rack unit height
- XLR inputs and outputs, preferrably in the back
- Must have filters and a compressor
- a de-esser is a bonus
- Analog inputs only matter, but digital I/O is a bonus
- My is budget is limited to 700€ (~$1100)

So, so far my candidates are, but mainly the first three:
DBX 376 (615€)
SPL Track One (585€)
Drawmer MX-1 (599€)
TOFT EC-1 (599€)
Aphex 207 D (555€)
Presonus Eureka (545€)
+ please suggest more if I missed something really nice

I had my eyes on DBX 376 as I've had really good experiences with almost all dbx products I've used, but I have heard 376 once live and the sound was nice until at the end of the show the sound engineer using it just butchered the vocalists' sound with it by constantly clipping the mic in the console, so it was not giving a "real" picture from the unit.

I would've considered also DBX 286A (229€), but it had TRS plug output. I also had a feeling tha the SM Pro Audio TB202/TC02 might sound, because I don't know why otherwise they would cost less than 200€

I used some focusrite preamp yesterday that I sounded hella good (and the owner said it was even dirt cheap, like ~300€ or something), but it was two units and had the XLR-input in the front. And I also think it is out of production as it is not in the Focusrite site. Thats why I would want prefer some that you have experiences with.

I've had a DBX 376 for a couple of years, I've done quite some experiments with it, compared it with a couple other pres and I've come to understand that it quite sucks... which pisses me off 'cause it has quite some nice features...
But then again, you need it live, so it might even be the thing for you. If it were for a studio situation, I'd definitely suggest to stay away from it.