Need a guitar tone expert for industrial metal

Dave_Syn

New Metal Member
Dec 25, 2012
I'm trying out some industrial metal for a change and I'm having a few problems getting a good tone. I've got decent gear but my sound isn't quite 'there' yet. If you're up for it I'd like to tackle this with you, we can probably go back and forth on Skype. I'll give you some cash for your assistance. PM me with some examples that you've worked on if you have them!

I believe that some of the old Ministry stuff was guitar -> Boss Heavy Metal (or maybe a Hyper Zone or one of those black boxes) -> mixing desk. The didn't bother with guitar amps and mic's back then.

It would be good if you posted some examples. I have some ideas but it would be better to see where are you going before telling which way you should go.
I've tried some ideas myself in past, so if you have interest you can e-mail or pm to me.

Try going straight into a DI with some distortion/fuzz pedals. Big Muff, Metal Zone, any of the black arts toneworks stuff or even cheap old digital pedals. it really depends what sort of industrial tone you're going for but lots of bands have used this approach to get massive, dirty, but clear sounds. I'm not into a ton of industrial bands but am a big fan of old Nine Inch Nails so I can only help a little bit unfortunately.
NIN's Broken and the downward spiral both have an old zoom multi effect pedal on lots of guitar tracks, straight into a Neve direct in. The Day The World Went Away is a DI'ed swollen pickle fuzz. Nowadays I hear reznor is using plugins like izotope trash and then reamping them into a diezel head.
Lots of Coil stuff sounds like DI'ed fuzz boxes to me a well.

Here's a thread with a rediculous amount of info on NIN gear and methods. I found it useful:

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?46,121940,page=1