Need a little bit of pick up electronic help

nialldoran

Jun 11, 2010
Belfast, N.Ireland
Hey guys i have just put some new p-ups in my guitar, EMGs using the solderless system, all im missing now is my switch, the only one i have here is a 12 terminal on-on-on 3 way switch, and i need to acheive this with it,

6giqsi.jpg

the switch looks like this

thum_70495835f10b48d.jpg

and i have no idea which terminals corespond with the above connections in the diagram, (ground, output, neck, bridge) i do know which column is which pick up but no idea about the rows of four on the switch.

any help would be amazing

That's a 4PDT switch, you have four dual pole switches in parallel and isolated from each other and activated by the same switch. The first set of three prongs vertically are one switch. The center connection is the input, or the "always on" connection, and the outside two connections are the variable outputs that are chosen using the switch. This goes for all the rest of the vertical rows as well. As for the center position of the switch and what connections are active, it'll vary from switch to switch, and you should look at the factory schematic for that model switch. Or you could use a continuity meter and check it yourself.

thanks jake i think i understand a bit better after reading that a few times, electronics are a huge weakpoint for me hence why solderless system made so much sense as an easy "painting by numbers" swap. cant find anything about teh switch i have online, it came stock in an ibanez sz320, it simply labeled f4tpa, very little info online, do you think it would be worth just buying a gibson style switch shown in the diagram or could i make this work with a little effort?