need an answer from Dave...

prelude-to-an-end

master of the synth...j/k
Jan 22, 2004
DE:'(
Hey i just got the cd about a month ago and i am totally hooked... it seems you get that a lot on this forum lol... anyway when i looked in the booklet to see who the keyboardest was i found it was you and i just wanted to say you are awesome :worship: !! i also play and i would like to know where you came up with that solo in AS WINTER FALLS? i mean what inspired you to come up with something that great.

prelude-to-an-end said:
Hey i just got the cd about a month ago and i am totally hooked... it seems you get that a lot on this forum lol... anyway when i looked in the booklet to see who the keyboardest was i found it was you and i just wanted to say you are awesome :worship: !! i also play and i would like to know where you came up with that solo in AS WINTER FALLS? i mean what inspired you to come up with something that great.
Thanks!!! I'm glad you're enjoying the disc. :)
I wish I could take credit for "being" a keyboardist, but in all reality I'm just a song writer/composer who can play a little...hehe ;)
The solo section of that song was written years ago, in fact just a few years after putting the band together. That particular solo section used to belong to another song that didn't make the first CD. When I wrote it, it was written in sections and then sequenced for the recording. I wanted something that would start out slow and melodic then would tear into a bit of shredding, then come back down with some melodic guitar-type phrasing. Of all the keyboard solos, it's always been my favorite. :cool:

~D

wow... that is awesome. thanx for the reply and i think that the solo is one of my favs too. that melodic to shred back to melodic idea worked out perfectly. i am def. gonna try to pull off sumfin like that with my band!

prelude-to-an-end said:
wow... that is awesome. thanx for the reply and i think that the solo is one of my favs too. that melodic to shred back to melodic idea worked out perfectly. i am def. gonna try to pull off sumfin like that with my band!
Very cool!!!
Best of luck with your solo!!!!

I think approaching a solo like that gives you a good balance of shred and emotional playing. ;)

~D