Need basic mixing tips for metal recording.

maddnotez

Jul 18, 2009
We use Reaper, through a Tascam US1641. Sm 57's and Shure PG for kick.
Basic cheap setup for demo purposes.

You can hear a sample of our last recording if you wish. Reverbnation.com/offthewitness "Pargola" is the track we did.

We are going to do a little "treatment" and experimenting with mic placements and all that jazz.

Want to maximize and get the best sound we can for what we have. Definitely need to improve the cymbal sound but.

Does anyone know of any free plug ins to use for compression, Eq's ect.

Have been doing alot of reading and research lately, really just looking for a quick guide of the general rules.

KVR Audio has a massive plugin database, you can find tons of free plugs there for whatever you need, even has a sort feature for "free".

there are already dozens of compression and equalizer plugins in reaper, for everything else
just use the search function, loads and loads of useful tips on this board.

there are already dozens of compression and equalizer plugins in reaper, for everything else
just use the search function, loads and loads of useful tips on this board.

This.

ReaComp, ReaEQ, etc.....never failed me. This is why I love Reaper so much - seems there are wayyyyy more stock plugins compared to, say, ProTools. But I havent really dove into PT much at all.

ReaComp and ReaEQ will get you good sounds. You gotta learn to use the stuff, that's all. :)