Need comments on a production, all help appreciated !

Juggy

New Metal Member
Hey guys :headbang:,

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time, but today I've decided to post and ask for your help. I've recently "completed" a production with a band, but we're not seeing eye to eye with the final product. So I would really appreciate any comments/opinions/advice you'd be willing to share.

Here's an excerpt of one of their songs : test.mp3

I know it's short, but this is the best I can do right now, I don't want to post a whole song before the band approves it...

Thanks a lot in advance :worship:

At first when i heard the intro, i thought the rest of the song would be the same quality, then the song punches in and i get surprised :p
Sounds really good to me. What is the problem, like Spite said?

Thanks for your reply..

The issues that were clearly expressed to me were :

1. Not loud enough
2. Kick is barely audible
3. Vocals are too quiet

Other than that, the complaints were pretty vague... as in "it's not quite right" "it needs something else" etc...

Are they deaf? The kick is clear and punchy to my ears. Vocals sit pretty well with everything else and loudness would be at the cost of clarity most times.
Did they give you a reference band/song?

EDIT: Downloaded the clip and looked at the actual waveform. You could hammer it a bit more with the limiter, but IMO it is not necessary.
But if that is what your client wants...

Are they deaf? The kick is clear and punchy to my ears. Vocals sit pretty well with everything else and loudness would be at the cost of clarity most times.
Did they give you a reference band/song?

EDIT: Downloaded the clip and looked at the actual waveform. You could hammer it a bit more with the limiter, but IMO it is not necessary.
But if that is what your client wants...

They did at first, citing deftones and slipknot as references... But as we were recording, we agreed they needed something smoother than slipknot and edgier than deftones... I don't know, I felt like I was losing my mind, cause it sounds loud enough (in fact, if anything, I think it's too loud), I can hear the kick just fine and the vocals don't seem too quiet...

It's loud enough. I can clearly hear the kick, and the vocals are pretty much perfect, imo.

Sounds better then slipknot.