Need electric guitar + amp reccomendations

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
Hey all...

I've been learning to play guitar on my dad's classical for about 5 months now and I'm thinking I'm about ready to get an electric one and start playing some metal... :) I just need some reccommendations on what to buy (both guitar and amplifier)... obviously I want something with good distortion options. Just to give you an idea of what type of metal I'll be playing (or trying to lol... its freaking hard)... heres the kind of stuff I like:

Kalmah
Killswitch Engage
Extol
Dark Tranquillity
COB

Im looking to spend about $400-500 on the guitar and perhaps $200-300 on the amp but that can vary. Im on a very limited "kid" budget relying mostly on odd jobs around the neighborhood.

If I can get an excellent guitar for cheaper than 400-500 dollars feel free to tell me... or if I really do need so spend more money tell me that as well plz... same for the amp too.

Thx in advance

If you want a good amp for that much, look around places for used ones. The best amps for metal are tube amps, and they're very expensive new. Solidstate and digital amps are SHIT for metal. Guitar though, probably Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, or BC Rich.

Since you only have been playing for 5 monthsdont worry about getting a expencive amp, you can get a decent sound out of a solid state amp, as for a guitar check your local pawn shops, I got a great Ibanez RG-550 for $125 last year, didnt need it (ive got 5 others) but at that price i had to get it. Read up on different amps and guitars and dont buy the first thing you see because it looks cool and you be all right

I dont think that buying a guitar in a pawnshop is a good idea, especially if you don't know alot about guitars. I suggest that if you choose this option you go there with some knowledgeable folk so you don't get fucked.
You don't get a lot of choice with a 400$ budget on your guitar. I think your best option would be an Ibanez.