Need Everyones Input/Suggestions on a Recording

The8thPlague

Halfman,Halfbeast:DEMIGOD
This is the drummer of WHEN HEAVEN BLEEDS & right now we are recording our 1st Full Length album titled: "Once Divine & Pure". We recently released a little 2 song Promo cd so people could hear what's to come but I would love some input on The Recording of it, & I figured this would be the best place to post about it. I Love the work of Andy, he's the best at what he does.

So I'm sure alot of you that frequent this Forum have a good understanding of what you're doing.

You don't even have to like the music we play, but tell us all what you think of the recording.
[This isn't some little demo crap, this is something that we'll be selling in stores, So Let Us Have It].

www.angelfire.com/band/whenheavenbleeds/sounds.html

{NOTE: "Together in Hatred" IS supposed to start the way it does, just something cool that we wanted to do to it}.

Sounds cool...
Here is some of my oppinions..
1. You can really hear the gate work in the beginning in Together is Hatred 00:13 to be exact, there is that clicking sound just before the music starts again... either you fade that up or try lower the attack of the gate.

2. Use a compressor for the snare and bring it up a little... It dissappears in the fast passages..

3. I believe the guitar has to much low-midrange... cut a little 200-400 Hz. Try boost a little in the high midrange around 1Khz.

I could give you more pointers but I don't have any proffesional studiomonitors here so I wont say to much... But I think it sounds pretty cool though...

The vocal levels I believe are too low most of the time. And I would try to brighten up the guitar. Start with the frequencies Gddm Gtr suggested. I think in general the mix is muddy the way it is. It needs some eq work. I am definitely not the guy to suggest what to do either. I just started doing some home recording a couple months ago so I don't even really know what I'm doing, but I would try to find someone who does to give you some pointers on eq. Right now I've been using this as kind of a starting point for eq. It helped me out quite a bit.

http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0900/primer.htm

...There is NO gate in "Together In Hatred". Like I said in that little bottom NOTE: That was just something we wanted to do, production-wise, start it off kinda Demo-ish then blast it really loud.

I agree w/ the snare disappearing at parts.

& so far with what a few people have said about the guitar we'll be doing something about that.

& Yeah I agree the vox are a little too low in certain parts too.

Thanx for the opinions.