Need fresh ears

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I tried unusual ways of mixing for me and different tools as well. It's a demo EP, the band is new and the musicians not experienced at all, it was quite challenging to get something decent but I'm happy with the result at the end.

The guys took the full package :D So I recorded, mixed and mastered + programmed the drums & the keyboards and played the bass (they're only two guys for now)

Very curious to get some feedback...
http://we.tl/GR5nR5Ag91

All the best

Sounds pretty awesome Gwen!

Bassguitar sounds like it could use a dip around 150-300, sounds a bit muddy at times. Sound is awesome though!
I definitely think that the growls are a bit overpowering, and it could be me but it sounds like the guitars are fighting a bit with the vocals in the infamous 4k range.

Oh thanks for the kind words gentlemen!! I worked a lot on guitar/bass relationship but there's still on a muddy side yep. Maybe a multicomp could do the job... I also agree on the vocals. I always find very difficult to mix well vocals actually.

I have never understand people who are not using soundcloud, Is it better to link a low quality mp3 file from some obscyre site than just upload the wav on soundcloud?
The song is fine...if it was 20 years ago...i love that..great job.

Wow that bass is a butcher! While listening to this I can almost smell the dead meat laying around :D The guitars and bass sits nicely together.
Sounds brutal!

I have never understand people who are not using soundcloud, Is it better to link a low quality mp3 file from some obscyre site than just upload the wav on soundcloud?

Thanks man. I find Soundcloud destroys the signal tbh so I prefer to send MP3 via WT or Dropbox... :)

Wow that bass is a butcher! While listening to this I can almost smell the dead meat laying around :D The guitars and bass sits nicely together.
Sounds brutal!

Thanks for the nice words man, I like the bass tone too. Your metaphor is indeed quite close to what I wanted to achieve hehe..
I recorded with a 150€ bass and stock strings. Pretty cool.

Arf, he's not totally wrong. I don't think my mix sounds like it was 20 years ago tho :) But I'm not responsible for the music itself so..

Says the guy...posting generic chuggachugga songs.. :lol:

Well my english is not very good, I did not mean it sounded like it was 20 years old or that the song was bad. The song gave me nostalgica for some reason, I really like the song. Sorry if i offended anyone.

I'm taking advantage of some extra time now to test different things. I fixed little weak points here and there since the mix I posted above (not too much tho).
Here are two files, one is my "normal" master, the other one is with DrMS and thus some corrections. I prefer the second one but I'm afraid it removes some punch... I'm very interested by your opinion on these two versions: http://we.tl/YpjsFh1Z5R

Thanks for your time!

Soundcloud compression is terrible. It's better to upload a good quality MP3 than use Soundcloud.

I prefer without, just sounds tighter and there's still plenty of stereo width in the mix. With sounds like it's going a bit too further over the edge for me, so the guitars sound a bit disconnected from the rest of the mix IMO.

Yeah. First, I liked the 'with' version more because it brings the guitars up but the bass has less presence. You're right about the stereo width, this mix does not need more. Thanks for your time!