Need gear recommendations (FX, guitar, bass)

Mythopoeios

New Metal Member
Nov 15, 2015
Hello, everyone. I am trying to get back into making metal on my own and I need some recommendations for different kinds of gear. There's just so much out there that I'm not sure what to buy or look for, and Amazon reviews are generally camped by company shills so I don't trust 'em. I'm not interested in working with other musicians or playing live, and I need to update my equipment for the stuff I want to play.

First: I need a new effects unit. My old Boss GT-8 was great but I've had it for years and it's falling apart. What would be a suitable replacement for less than, say, $250? The more I can tweak the settings and get the tone exactly right, the better. Doesn't need to be easy to use - I can figure it out.

Second: I need a new guitar. I am looking for something with seven strings, a locking tremolo, 24 frets, and a coil tap. I would like to get the standard EMG-style tone that you get from active pickups, but I want something with a coil tap. I have a Schecter c-1 elite and I love the coil tap feature but I want to expand to seven strings for musical reasons. I don't need a fast neck because I don't do flashy solos. Willing to drop about $800 here.

Third: I need a good bass. Just a solid 4-string metal bass, as well as a very basic effects unit to run it through. It doesn't need to be fancy, just durable. $200 or thereabouts.

Fourth: What is some good software that I can use to synthesize drums that don't sound completely fake? I don't need a bajillion features, I just need it to sound reasonably real with maybe a few different options for different sounds in the snare/bass/tom etc. Should I just buy an old-fashioned drum machine, or is there reasonably-priced software that I can get for, say, less than $150?

I record mainly to a computer without the use of microphones, so gear that is suited to this is a definite plus.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Hey man. I can't answer the first three questions, but for the drums I wholeheartedly recommend EZDrummer 2 by Toontrack. It's £91, which I think is pretty much on your budget. It sounds fantastic (it's all real drums sounds, and there are even expansion packs for if you're looking for a specific sound or kit) and it's incredibly intuitive to use.

You can hear how the stock "metal" present sounds on my song A Shadow Left By Time (link is in my sig)!

Hope this helped!