need help cleaning up this 8 string guitar

fretfingers

Jan 16, 2011
I've been trying to clean up my latest 8-string guitar recording. Having a hard time especially with the tremolo picking Any tips?

Here is what I used:
New D'Addario strings
LTD SC608B (Stef Carpenter Signature Model 8-string)
Radial JDI
Avid 96io Interface/AD Converters
Waves Q10 to roll some lows and boost some high mids
POD farm tube screamer/Bogner Ubershal Model
Recabinat Green/Angora
Waves C4 Andy Sneap Preset (thresh adjusted to taste)
Waves REQ to roll some lows, and a couple dips to make a bit of room for kick/snare.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
where are you hi-passing at? Sounds pretty clear to me.... i would suggest hi-passing around 120-140hz if you aren't already doing so.

That tone sounds extremely fake and digital. I'd try tweaking that preset to get a more natural tone and it might work better.

thats the problem I'm having. I know what real 6 string guitars are supposed to sound like but I dont have much of a reference for what real amped 8 string guitars sound like.

Even the new deftones stuff sounds... different.

Any good 8-string references you guys can suggest?

Heres a lil list of 8 string tones I like... see if any of that fits your tastes.

Meshuggah - Alive
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - Danza 3
Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse
Ihsahn - After
White Chapel - A New Era Of Corruption
After the Burial

why are you making such a massive boost @2k? :S that's like a LOT of shit happening in your DI's to me... if you can't get a REALLY good tone out from barely 'default' (all knobs in the middle) settings, then something must be going on with your strings, or the arch of your guitar, or pickups, or whatever.

Your right, the EQ was quite dramatic and wasn't required with the new guitar tone. Any opinions or suggestions on the new sound?

Thanks!

Take sum 100 Hz for definition. Boost a lil 1500, cut sum 2500-3000 area.
High pass 80-100hz, Low pass 8000-10000hz.
And take sum 600-800 are for taste..
put a light comp..

.and ermm.. I wanna buy LTD SC608? do you like it so much? or what do you think about Ibanez RGA8, if you ever tried?

Things the OP might want to try,

Elixir strings. I use a 0.75 myself. Like it because it doesn't get too "bassy" sounding.

Try something other than Line 6 sims. Something like the Lecto or X30/X50 for an amp and ReCabinet/Own Hammer for cab IRs.

I've also been experimenting with higher than "normal" high passes lately in an effort to get room of some extra bass that was just muddying up my tone. I tried going as high as 376 Hz w/ interesting results. Low passes at around 7-8K have been proving helpful as well.

Also, if you're in the market for a new 8 string, try here,
http://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html

I own a 828 Intrepid and am very happy with it. The 28.6" scale really sounds good imo.

I love the SC608. It just feels SOOO good! I've tried other 8's and (including the RGA8) and this one just felt so good. It is a very high quality instrument!

onemorelie - are you suggesting that I try these EQ changes after the ampsim? I am already using recabinet but unfortunately I cant use any of the PC ampsims as I am on a mac.

I have Guitar Rig 4 (boo), Line 6 X3 Pro, PodFarm and AmpFarm (TDM), Avid's Eleven Plugin, and the Sansamp Plugin. Shouldn't I have something good enough there or are the PC ampsims that much better at achieving the heavy sound I'm looking for?

I've also noticed that with Recabinet, I find myself notching out all sorts of tiny frequencies to get rid of the excess "air" sounds the cabs seem to b pushing.

I've been high passing the shit our of my guitars and I'm comfortable doing so. The fact is, if the guitar tone sucks, a high pass will only go so far!

Thanks again everyone!