Need help knowing what I did to hurt my throat doing vocals(strained, etc.?)

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Need help knowing what I did to hurt my throat doing vocals(strained, etc.?). I was doing high growls/shrieks/rasps for a little while the past 2 nights and I'd get minor sore throat pain after a few minutes of doing it but would just fight through it and still keep doing those high shriek notes(it's not a scream like say Varg Vikernes did, it's using the same technique as a death growl except youre going higher and not using the O, I guess my black metal vocals are kind of a cross between a rasp and a shriek),when I was finished my throat felt fine, but this morning when I woke up my throat had an awkward feeling and felt shredded except there was no pain. Everytime I take a deep breath I feel a minor pain in the depths(deep lower part) of my throat which is very unusual, it neevr does that, I don't think I blew my cords out as I can still rasp/growl(only did it 1 time to see if I could still do it) and am not trying those all out high note shrieks until my throat is healed up, I don't want to fuck anything up for sure, I'm about to record a black metal EP so I'm definitely resting my vocals for a while. So could this just be a strain or what?

Need help knowing what I did to hurt my throat doing vocals(strained, etc.?). I was doing high growls/shrieks/rasps for a little while the past 2 nights and I'd get minor sore throat pain after a few minutes of doing it but would just fight through it and still keep doing those high shriek notes(it's not a scream like say Varg Vikernes did, it's using the same technique as a death growl except youre going higher and not using the O, I guess my black metal vocals are kind of a cross between a rasp and a shriek),when I was finished my throat felt fine, but this morning when I woke up my throat had an awkward feeling and felt shredded except there was no pain. Everytime I take a deep breath I feel a minor pain in the depths(deep lower part) of my throat which is very unusual, it neevr does that, I don't think I blew my cords out as I can still rasp/growl(only did it 1 time to see if I could still do it) and am not trying those all out high note shrieks until my throat is healed up, I don't want to fuck anything up for sure, I'm about to record a black metal EP so I'm definitely resting my vocals for a while. So could this just be a strain or what?

From what I have heard your vocals on myspace your doing it all wrong. You are just grunting and screming. Vocals are a skill to learn. You need stop and make sure you are doing it right.

^I think I'm doing the growls right(low ones anyways), it doesn't hurt to ever do those, only time I ever feel pain doing any is the ones I was doing the past couple nights, yeah, I did those kind on the latest song on MySpace near the end.

^I think I'm doing the growls right(low ones anyways), it doesn't hurt to ever do those, only time I ever feel pain doing any is the ones I was doing the past couple nights, yeah, I did those kind on the latest song on MySpace near the end.

Are some of your songs riffs sampled. Like you record the riff and then just copy paste it over and over again?

BAD IDEA. Just play the riffs by hand over and over again even if its boring. The copy paste thing makes your music sound plastic and well, shitty. Honestly, you sound like a cool guy but you should end Blue Wizard and start again with a fresh slate and build some better music. I dont want to sound mean but the sound is REALLY bad and starting over can only help you. Sorry if I offended you.

^It's fine, for my next song I did record the riffs multiple times at once, though I did divide it up in sections so only the drums will be copy and pasted, the riff sections will be copy and pasted but the sections themselves have been played 8 times each(or 16, whichever I need). That song isnt up yet, I'll try to record some vocals this weekend and mix it as I already have the drums and guitar recorded. And I am working on a black metal band like I said that only involves me, and I will be just recording the riff sections again instead of just recording one riff.