Need help - making mix-cds for a girl

ARK - Heal the Waters....jeebus, what an album this is.

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: And normally I don't even like...whatever genre that is.

Anyway, if you don't like Hellhammer yet, make the disc all Hellhammer and listen to it, don't even bother giving it to that girl.

JayKeeley said:
Same here. I suppose it's "prog" of which I have about 3 albums. Occasionally though, you get an album that defies the laws of gravity....

...and the laws of genre classification, I've seen it referred to as more of a hard rock album with prog-caliber instrumentation, which is a fair description as only a handful of the tracks are overtly prog, it's very accessible and you have to listen closely to realize how intricate some of the music is and how skilled Tore and John Macaluso are (unless you know your Conception...)

It's a little proggy, lots of rock, catchy tunes made for cranking the volume, Jorn Lande is THE demi-god of vocals, there's some influence from The Police and Bjork, it's got a ton of phenomenal fretless bass....ARK spells NAD. :loco:

as long as that prog bit isn't strong, i could dig it.

progressive music = WINWINWINWINWIN

modern "prog" rock/metal = :yuk: :puke: :shitstain: :etc:

Tranquillian said:
However!... she does listen to The ruins of beverast and Secrets of the moon, and how many women do that?
:cool: :kickass:

lurch70 said:
"Anathema is my favorite band"
I wouldn't say that btw, cos Pink Floyd are. :D

Never been into heavy/ thrash/ power/ death (unless melodic) metal, not even old-school doom. I guess I hate heavy and power metal the most - never liked guys who sound like castrates. Shrieking guitars + shrieking men = :yuk: Can't stand stuff like Nightwish or Within Temptation either. Ugh. Some death metal can be cool live or in the morning, when I need to wake up (or when I'm angry). But yeah, I usually prefer more depressive tunes. Blend in some non-garage-sound black metal, and I'm happy. Got into most of my music (the metal part) thanks to my dearest guy friend btw. He copied tons of CDs for me after I'd made an incidental remark about Paradise Lost. We didn't know we'd have anything in common up until then. :)

Awesome random clean vocaled comp ITP:

1. Candlemass "At the Gallows End"
2. Brocas Helm "Fly High"
3. Solitude Aeturnus "Seeds of the Desolate"
4. Judas Priest "Beyond the Realms of Death"
5. Bruce Dickinson "King in Crimson"
6. Angel Witch "Angel Witch"
7. Cathedral "The Unnatural World"
8. Falkenbach "As Long as Winds Will Blow"
9. In the Woods "HEart of the Ages"
10. Katatonia "Will I Arrive"
11. Slayer "Crionics"
12. Testament "Apocalyptic City"

man if someone made me a comp like that id just drop my pants right away, i recommend this one

EDIT: Hehe I didn't see you already picked Beyond the Realms before picking it myself, good work there
I reckon it represents the best in accessibility/awesomeness ratio re: Priest

lurch70 said:
i guess that whole "poser" mentality is still in me somewhere from high school.

you would be shuned forever in a corner, if in the hey days of metal, you admitted something like ... "Anathema is my favorite band" :lol:

but today, in metrosexual times, its A OK!!!
ughhhh

maybe if you tried listening to pre-"eternity" anathema

Agalloch -- Pale Folklore
the whole album.

That got me into them after... someone let me listen to them. :D