Need help on production...

Stillborn

Scaly Manfish
Jun 5, 2003
Philly, PA
www.thedamageroom.com
Hi guys,

I'd like to have your advices on how to improve this song. It was kinda made only for testing my production skills, so there are some... how can I say this... rythmically challenged riffs (stupid right hand)...

I'm looking forward to your advices and whatnots...

Thanks in advance.

It sounds to me like there's too much gain on the guitar tracks. The have no separation or definition. The kick drum has a terrible "Click" to it, almost sounds like clipping in certain parts. It also seems to have almost no bottom end as a whole. The high end has no sizzle either. What are you monitoring through? I bet they flattered it.
The song is great, very entertaining. It just needs some work. You mentioned the ill timing on the guitar tracks, but they are so muddy that you can barely tell. I would tweak the guitars a little more, try to find a really good tone.

What did you use to do this? Are the guitars DI? What did you program the drums on?

I used Cubase SX2 to do that, and my PodXT... For the drums I used Battery with some "custom" samples... I'll try to work on the things you said.

By the way, I have Yamaha MSP5 as monitors, but they don't "flatter" the kick drum, that's actually what I wanted to get, something like post-fear factory... :)

Thanks a bunch :worship:.

I don't like the kick too much, there is too much clicking in it and the guitars could be a tiny bit clearer, but I wouldn't say they were TOO muddy really. I've heard guitar done by pros recently that are a lot worse than that. Perhaps you might want to take a tiny bit of the of the slap attack out of the kicks (around 2.5k on the eq).

Other than that its a solid digital/modern styled production you have there, and the song is very cool to boot... sounds like old In Flames in bed with Fear Factory... which is an interesting and dare i say it original combo.

Good job. Keep it up and you'll be very good at this. The songwriting and the producing/mixing.

HI there Stillborn!

I like the song arrangement! Very nice!
But there's too much distortion on the guitars. If you put it back a bit they will sound more focused, (and yes your right hand needs to be more tight!) and the bass is a bit muddy; I mean: its there but its difficult to hear it clearly.
As a drummer myself I don't like this kind of sampled drums, but I understand that this is an option or a way out when you don't have a real drummer (if you can't hunt with a dog you do it with a cat! he, he, he!)
I agree that the kiks have too much "click". Work on it and you'll get there it's sounding good already! TWEAK IT! DAMN IT!!!