How can I improve this ?

I've never heard a more compressed song than Vital Remains' 'Dechristianize'. I mean the fucking waveform looked completely flat when I analyzed it, and on top of that it clips all over these speakers.

I have a serious problem using compression effectively (you know the 'WHHooo WHooo' syndrome, where volume attenuates abruplty and artificially) and haven't used it on a recording up to this point. It's just that whenever I use it, the volume attenuates like a fuck and it sounds really weird. Is there any helpful guides, or instructions anybody would want to pass on?

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
The band is called Malmonde, this is their second album. The first one was on Osmose Production, the second one, noone knows yet, they'll search for a label once the album will be finished.
Hopkins, any idea to get this special balance you're talking about ?
Without knowing exactly what you did I can't be sure really.

I'd just say listen to both a few times and then think about what you did differently both times. Then try a find the "middle place." (Purgatory? :lol:)

Hey Brett!
Sounds freakin' awesome!!.....My thoughts (....doesn't mean much, hehe!)...I kinda dig the Killswitch Engage snare tone on "Alive Or Just Breathing". You know that kinda' "thick/compressed tone". Other than that, nice work!!.......Happy New Year to you.

Thanks for your two comments !
I'm not a big fan (at all) of the snare sound on "Alive or just breathing", though it never bothered me when listening to the album. Anyway, the drummer of the band hates this snare sound (the one from KSE), so... :)
Frank, thank you, I didn't listen to the old one to compare yet, should be funny to do actually... And yes, it's mastered already, I'm doing both at the same time actualy. I'm pretty sure this is not the best way to go, but most bands can't afford to pay for a good mastering session (since I charge them so much... haha, just kindin'), so I try to do it myself (though not as good as the real thing)...

Hehe :) Well everything is inside Cubase... On the mastering channel I've got :

- High Pass eq (-6db/octave under 60Hz)
- Sonic Maximizer (mostly on the low contour)
- Side-Chained compressor to compress (well, limit should be said since the ratio is at 50:1) the low end : under 115Hz, very fast release (1ms) and medium attack (35ms)
- Global Eq
- Brickwall Limiter

I'm still pretty sure this is (again) not the best way to go tho =) But hey, you asked, so don't blame me, haha !

Brett