This is the new shit

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Okay so you've asked for it, here is a temp mix from my band KALISIA forthcoming coming concept album. If you've read the "Ten Year Anniversary" you already know how the troubles I'm having... There are a few things missing here and there, but this may give you an idea of what to expect, though this extract is not representative of the rest of the album (how to represent 1 hour of music with a 5 minute extract ?). But anyway, we're here for the sound and I'd greatly appreciate your comments on it : what are the weaknesses and the strengh of this mix, what you like and what you don't, are the instruments and voices distinguishable, can you understand the lyrics, what I could do to improve it, etc.

Thanks a lot !!!

http://www.towerstudio.net/kalisia/kalisia.mp3

Brett

hey man,

i'm listening right now. i think the initial recording is most definetly good. i think the drums need to be a bit more upfront in the mix. it sounds like you've got a good drummer (unless its programmed then good job!) and i think it would certianly benefit the song quite a bit to bring the whole kit up. obviously when you bring up you will want to make sure the verb levels are appropriate. i think your vocals and your effect choice is really good, i like those alot in terms of sound, maybe you could get a bit more creative with some automated panning for the synths? they might fight the vox less on the parts where they both are going on. but yeah it sounds good and you just gotta bring those drums up and get some punch in the tune.

sounds good! hope this helps.

Hey, this is very Tristania like :) Me likey.

Actually I like the mix. I would describe it as being heavy as fuck. Yet the heaviness is laidback and easy going. You know its there, but it is not in your face. Good background music when you invite your metal head-friends for a party at your place. :Spin:

On the other hand, if you are looking for a response similar to:

"Holy fuck there are a million things happening AND I CAN CLEARLY HEAR THEM ALL... OH MY GOD CHECK OUT THE TALENT OF THE KEYBOARDIST AND NOW COMES IN THE DRUMMER AND WOW CHECK OUT THAT RIFF AND WOW! NOW THE CHICK IS SINGING AND BAM! NOW THE GUITARS AND INSANE RIFFING IS GOING ON AND WOW THIS ROCKS MY WORLD..."

then you have a problem.

I wish I could help you man. Ideally I suppose your band would need the talents of someone like Dave Bottrill, but I suppose you already knew that. :Spin:

I'm not sure what it is, but my most amatuerish reckoning would be that the guitars definately need to stand out more, cut through the mix more. I hope James or Andy give you a few tips.

You and your band rule!

Wow, very nice work there.

I disagree about the guitar comment. I feel they're fine as they are. It's the drums that need to cut through a bit more IMHO. I also feel the chick's vocals need to have a more spacey and powerful feel... I think adding some serious verb to them will stop them sounding so dry in the mix. Either that or find some alternate ways of making them stand out in the mix. I find that the instruments dominate the song over the vocal parts alot... and whilst I find that to be a nice change, I don't think an 'average' person is going to be used to that kind of thing.

But once again.. nice.

There's something about the guitars that doesn't quite work for me, i can't really put my finger on what it is about em though... It might be something with the panning, they sound too extremely wide or something, but like i said, i'm not quite sure what it is.

Other than that i thought it sounded really good allthough i couldn't listen to more than like 30-40 seconds in the beginning, my connection is acting up.

Hey guys thanks for your inputs.
I agree about the drums, they should be louder but in the mix I did before, they were too loud... So I'll have to go in between and find a compromise. It will also depends on the parts as well, will have to automate them a bit according to what's going on sonically. Hard to keep them up and not killing or bluring everything else...
About the guitars, I can't find what it is either :( I'd like to keep them panned to keep things separated and distinguishable. Maybe the keyboard is eating too much on them, or I don't know... Maybe it's just that I'm not Andy for tracking guitars, lol.
About the comparison with Tristania : mmmmh, first time ever someone says that, will have to check their music. And about me having a problem, I don't understand what you mean, can you explain ?

It might be that they're just not getting enough room but i don't think it is, i bet this is hugely helpful :)
Try panning em just a tad bit different, shouldn't mess too much with the separation but might clear up whatever it is that is off with em.

Hey Brett!
Glad to hear some new Kalisia, I like it a lot!
Strong points in my opinion: The band as a whole is great, all vocals rips and the songwriting is consistent. The instrument tones suits the music, and the choirs... Well, no need to say, everything is way above average ;)
I believe that you should put the drumkit a tiny bit upfront, and check the kick sample and the snare sample mix - it's sounding a bit plastic to me. About the panning of the guitars, I think you should try panning mainly the rythm guitars, leaving those melodic lines and arpeggios more centered.
Also, I suggest you to "wet" the vocals more.
Isn't it a pain in the ass to mix different singers using different techniques at the same song? :tickled:
Good luck and keep us updated about your work - I'm sure that it will be a huge album.
(Curious to know more about the concept :headbang: )

Wow, great job Brett! The drums are plenty loud for me over here, and the vocals, guitars, and keyboards absolutely kick ass!

Did you quad track the guitars? They sound pretty good to me, but I think it might help to automate the fader a bit on them in small increments to adjust for some of the other things in the mix. This music is very complex, with lots of parts going on at once, and I can hear all of them, which is the challenge with this type of arrangement. You've done an amazing job!

I love the style of your music, it's very original, I can't think of anything that sounds like this.

Sounds mint to me, the only thing that I would like to hear changed is the the snare sound, maybe a higher tuned sample. It's only my personal preference though, there is nothing wrong with it what so ever.

Got go with Shane here and say this sound very original!

Keep up the good work.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your inputs and nice words !
The guitars are not quad tracked, only two rhythm guitars, one left one right (there's a Mesa Triaxis into a Peavey 50/50 and a Line 6 Vetta). I already automated their volumes according to what the lead guitar, vocals or keyboards are playing, but because of my PC problems it's a real pain in the ass.
About the concept, I'd like to tell you more but I can't, hehehe ;-) So you'll have to wait until the album is out. In the meanwhile you could check our website (www.kalisia.com) but it's actually down (I have to find a free webhosting site accepting ASP pages or finish the new version of the site - don't really have time for that though...).
Anyway, thanks a lot !