Need help setting up a studio/practice place!

At The Gates

New Metal Member
May 23, 2004
Okay after a long times wait, I finally had the strength to clean out my garage. Now I’m starting a band and I need help trying to isolate the place. My garage is pretty big, there’s a window in the back and a garage door which is made out of wood (I think). The walls are concrete and so is the floor.

Now to isolate the place: What should I do? The drums are in the back and their surrounded by mattresses on two sides. Do I need to do anything else to isolate the drums? And also should I like put carpet, cardboard, or some bubble wrap on the wall to isolate the garage itself? And anything else?

bubble wrap wont do shit, egg cartons will, and foam, and carpet. just use that to kill reverb, and if you do it well enough, you wont need the mattresses around the drums.

Garage isn't really the ideal place to record anything but drums, for vocals use a closet with clothes in it, it really kills all ambience, and you can add it in the production (better than not being able to take it out afterwards), and guitars I suggest going line in if you have a shitty amp (with amp modeler of course) or record them in a smaller area than a garage. Also, if your garage is big you're gonna have a bitch of a time trying to kill the reverb that it will procuce on your recordings. But good luck man, try egg cartons like the man above me said.