Need Advice

Psychotic_God

New Metal Member
Jan 3, 2010
First..Hello to everyone. Going to get right to the point: I've been in a band back in the 80's and did the garage band thing. I had a Peavey amp (solo series?)and 2 Kramer guitrars.

I've been out of the scene since 1989. With that said; I need help from you guys. I want to get back into it, nothing serious though. Just for my own enjoyment. I need to buy some equipment and I do have some ideas but I need your advice. Here's what I have so far.
====================

* Ibanez RG370DX

* Marshall DSL100MLB and MC412 Half Stack
or
* Marshall MG4 Series MG100HFXRS and MG412ARS Half Stack

====================

Yes, maybe a little overboard at this point but...If I wanna jump? I'm going to jump high. I mean why not?

Please Help. Give me suggestions. Be critical if you want.

Definitely do not get the Marshall MG series. They sound pretty bad. As for the DSL100MLB, if you like Marshall tone (which I do not) then it'll work great for you. However, if you're not planning on gigging, a half stack is quite a lot of overkill. Plus, the cab that comes with it is not very good. Putting a $1200 head on a $400 cab is not that great of an idea, it would definitely be a major damper on the head's tone.

As for the guitar, eh, it's a decent guitar. Good for the money.

The big question is though, do you plan on getting back into playing with bands? If not, I would suggest a cheaper tube combo amplifier and a nicer guitar.

Thank you very much for responding to my question. I didn't think it was going to be answered.

Yea as I said, It is abit overkill..LOL! Could you suggest something for me? Type of music that will be played is: Heavy. No, I am not planning on getting back into the band thing. My life has changed dramically since...well....Let's just say since I was last in the scene.

I was also looking at the combo's and a tube is my preferrance. I dunno...I trust in you guys so just direct me and I'll do the rest as far as picking which guitar/amp I want.

Again, thank you very much for responding to my question :)

I'd definitely recommend the B-52 AT range of amps, great metal tone for the price. Not exactly the biggest name brand, but I've played a couple of them before and for the price they really are unbeatable.

Tone is personal preference though really. I suggest going and trying some amps out at your local store.

Check out the Line 6 Spider valve stuff. Nice sounding combo's, even if they are "modeling" on the front end. You can crank the life out of 'em and they just put out more of what you want. Those things require time though. Going through the different models and honing the tone to your taste can take several hours of tinkering.

Check out the Line 6 Spider valve stuff. Nice sounding combo's, even if they are "modeling" on the front end. You can crank the life out of 'em and they just put out more of what you want. Those things require time though. Going through the different models and honing the tone to your taste can take several hours of tinkering.

There is no reason why anyone with the money to buy a decent tube amp would ever want a Line 6...horrible amps, really.

Thank you very much for responding to my question. I didn't think it was going to be answered.

Yea as I said, It is abit overkill..LOL! Could you suggest something for me? Type of music that will be played is: Heavy. No, I am not planning on getting back into the band thing. My life has changed dramically since...well....Let's just say since I was last in the scene.

I was also looking at the combo's and a tube is my preferrance. I dunno...I trust in you guys so just direct me and I'll do the rest as far as picking which guitar/amp I want.

Again, thank you very much for responding to my question :)

In that case, I would suggest you check out the Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo. It has great tone for the money and it has an external speaker jack if you ever do decide to get back into jamming with other people. Here's a good demo video of it...

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the spider series are shit. No one goes out to try the other models....i personally think the flextone is pretty badass

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever laid eyes on any of their other models. The Spiders are I think oriented towards cheap beginner gear, and as far as that goes they're acceptable, but Vox does it better.

Vox isn't even comparable. Vox and Line 6 play opposite sides of the field. For the record though, Vox's are excellent. You've got to love the Vox jangle.

Spider IV's are decent sounding for bedroom amplifiers but that's really it. The other Line 6 models sound much better but you would never catch me playing through one.

I think the small Vox solid state combos are very comparable to the Line 6 Spiders, and compare quite favorably.

"cheap beginner gear, and as far as that goes they're acceptable, but Vox does it better."
To me, cheap beginner gear means small solid-state.