Official buying advice thread

What bands do you listen to?

Yeah I mean Peaveys, they're relatively cheap amps over in the US and have amazing distorted tones. But for versatility, not so much, unless you're going with a JSX or Triple X.

I was thinking of getting myself a 7 string in the future just to play around with. I already have 4 6 stringers, 1 in standard, 2 in D standard for my band and one with a fixed bridge that I can fuck around with in other tunings. I don't see myself going any lower than A tuning to be honest, so I don't think I'll need to get an 8 string. Too low for my tastes.

in addition to stuff like fear facory meshuggah metalica emperor dimmu borgir and so on(not into 'nu metal') i listen to aussie metal like astriaal, cryogenic, naxul, frankenbok, lord kaos... unless your an aussie you prolly havent heard of them. really like exit 13 and ceph carn. others too... i couldnt be bothered typing more. i dunno tho ive been as good as living in a hole under a rock for the past few years in regards to the rest of the world :zombie: which is why say i could be wrong. i dunno what sort of o/s attention the music i listen to gets. ive only recently discovered meshuggah so that me for you. im really into melodic black metal these days, but dont know too much about it. but now i have the internet and a credit card :loco:

lots of music stuff is cheap in the US but im yet to find one that ships what i want o/s ive spent the last 2 weeks virtually every night looking too. it gets boring. i finally found some cheap places in aus. so that makes up for it but not quite. ive heard of guys getting what im after for less that a thousand bucks each! my local will be telling me on monday what they can do for me.

im really into the vettas features... so many sounds in one amp :OMG: from what ive seen/read you can get similar shit out of a vetta to the peavey, along with a bunch of other stuff...

i detuned to f once and thought that'd be cool if the strings didnt move that much, slip and bend just cause your fretting it.

I am Aussie, I'm from Perth. :wave:

Heard of all those bands and then some. I've got a huge music collection. I've played on the vetta, and most line6 stuff. Never been a fan of them unless it's their amp modelling for their PODs or Toneport stuff. I'm using a Line6 KB37 now hooked up to my PC for recording purposes. Live I use my Peavey 6505+ and assortment of pedals.

There's only so much I can do to talk you out of buying a vetta especially if you've got your mind set. They aren't bad amps, they're just not that great... I AM abit of an analog snob when it comes to amps and effects though. Hopefully you do find something that'll suit your tastes, in the end tone is all in your fingers. Someone shit at guitar can make the most expensive of rigs sound terrible, and vice versa. Just spend ALOT of time dialling in tones, within a band rehearsal situation, live situation and a bedroom one. They're all quite different.

As for my tastes, I'm more into black and death of all sorts, old school thrash and alot of avant/prog. Also alot of non-metal stuff like indie, alternative, psychedelic, electronica etc.

im in Bunbury. moved here from NSW about a year ago.

my collection isnt that big. ive had trouble finding what im afer in the past, but like i said now ive got a credit card.

ive read lots of :worship: rave reviews about the vetta. only a few that say its not great. there seems to be a lot of anti digital-amp (tube snobbery) out there. i wouldnt say that im set on it. i dont exactly have the cash to buy a 'good' tube amp and cab and all the effects im after. buy the time i buy pedals i'll have less 2000 to spend on an amp. im looking at value for money. besides the samples that i have heard arent too shabby.
ive got no problems with spending time dialing in tones.
maybe when i have lots of money and become a real musican, i'll buy a decent tube amp.

I read that the Peaveys clean tone can be a little disappointing?

So they're cheaper than I thought, I looked some up after made that post :loco:

Who uses Peaveys? Where can I hear some samples?

Im still new to the world of rig buying, this will be my first. I have a fender 25w solid state practice amp and was using a Gibson Les Paul imitation my dad had before this. What sort of maintenance does a tube amp need?

I used a Marshal 150w solid state/valve chorus combo once(apparently a custom one off jobby). It had a digital distort/valve distort switch, and I thought the valve setting was really dirty compared to the digital, which had really nice distortion. Is that 'dirt' why people criticise digital amps as lacking in tone? IS THAT WHAT THE TUBE SNOBS MISS? (no offense if youre a tube snob :erk: )

Im not rich, dont get me wrong, i just have money to spend at the moment(not enough to buy a Mesa tho) and want the best bang for my buck.

The peavey 5150 series aren't exactly known for versatility. Their high gain capabilities are phenomenal though. If you want clean tones and versatility, go after a Peavey Triple X or JSX. They're much more expensive though.

The list of 5150 users are endless as ALOT of bands tend to use it as part of their reamping in the studio. But if you want the "popular bands" using them: In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, older Gojira, Trivium(urgh), Arch Enemy, Kreator, Strapping Young Lad (Devin Townsend of that era), The Haunted, Carcass, Dillinger Escape Plan, Sikth, Machine Head... list goes on. I have to say, I'm not a huge fan with alot of these bands but doesn't mean their tone isn't bad. You'll find that it's the best high gain amp with this price range. Unless of course you consider the cheap Bugera copies.

Thanks. I listen to two bands in that list (DT and InFlames) and I do like their tone... Maybe for my second amp. Versatility is what Im after at the moment and the Vettas got it in spades :heh:

When I was playing guitar a few years back all I wanted was a plethora of effect to make wacky sounds. :err:

at the end of the day mate, you cant be told what sorta guitar to get, you just know when you see it... i reck your best bet is either a jackson dinky or an ibanez rg series, best playabilty reliablity and tone for your price range, i'd stay away from them amps and look for something with better build quality... and as for digitech i have an rp pedal at the mo and it works and good recording for to your pc... but line 6 pods are THE BEST no doubt about it, best tones you can download, best quality for just plugging straight into your laptop/pc, and if you look at the best youtube covers, the ones with the best tones those guys are all using line6 products... hope that helped man... /,,/ keep rockin

I got given the chance to trade my 6505+ and a cash top up for a Framus Cobra. Problem is I'm using a Marshall 1960A lead cab loaded with Celestion GT12-75s, so I'm not sure if these cabs are good enough. Any advice?

Does any one know if you can get these acoustic guitar stands that enables you to play without actually having to hang the guitar on your shoulders?
I know that Exodus and Rush uses them.
If anyone understands what I'm rambling about and can come up with some advice,
it would be appreciated.
Thanks//Klämrisk

Hey all,

It's got to the point with my band that we need to have our own gear and settings, rather than borrowing from other bands at shows, so we can sound like ourselves every night, with our own sound, and take all the hassle and risk to our sound, as much as possible, out of the equation.

We play a broad spectrum of stuff. Some of it's hard rock, some thrashy metal, some grunge. I like a punchy clear sound (but not nasal, dislike upper mid spikes), and tend not to use as much gain as our other guitarist. Clean isn't the be-all and end-all, it's not destroy the world music, I want people to hear the notes, but it is heavy music, and it is riff-based, so obviously it needs some beef and chug. A coupla songs are gonna need something a touch more Crowbar-ish but it's not going to be the main sound. Provisionally I'm looking at going Marshall, a JCM of some kind.

What are the hard rock riffers out there using? You guys and the pros? BLS has great tone, I do like the Crowbar sound, but it's too much, and I love Soundgarden and AIC's tones. Any help is appreciated, I'm gonna search for info, but this could at least get a more customised response from the amp experts among you.

Seeking some advice here. My band is looking to practice at our drummer's place, and we'll need the keyboards, flute, and vocals (yes, colossally gay) to be audible over the drums as well as the guitar and bass. Clearly we need a PA setup. The problem is we have no idea what to get. We need a mixing board, 3 mics, and a set of speakers, and possibly a power amp I guess? For the mics we're probably gonna get a Sennheiser for the lead singer and then a couple of SM57s for backing vocals and flute. Other than that, we don't know. We went to a music store and the guy tried to sell us about $1500 worth of equipment, which is about three times our budget. So...recommendations? We looked at a Yamaha mixer that was about %200 that looked good, so it's really a question of getting good cheap speakers, and then if the speakers aren't powered I guess we'll need a power amp.

looking at a 2nd hand XXX now, very excited, think it'll give plenty of thump and chunk while cutting through and having a great solo boost channel :)

right, guys, please help as these are my final options- second hand XXX or second hand Randall V-2. HELP!?!?!

Hello,

I'm a black metal guitarist. I'm searching for a pedal that could turn my Egnater 30W Rebel (Blues amp) into a raw sounding one. I have a Gibson SG and a Ibanez Jem77v. The sounds I seek are closest to Immortal's "At the heart of winter". So, a sound that isn't disgustingly distorted into simply aggressive buzzing i.e. Inquisition (although that is a very nice and unique band I'm not exactly aiming at that kind of "rawness"). All in all, a kinda clean, comprehensible, high pitched black metal sound. Budget unlimited. I've been searching through guitar center's and have found lots of pedals but don't know very much about them, so that's where you guys come in.

Thank you.

If you have an unlimited budget you should just get a Peavey 5150 and a Marshall 1960A, instead of trying to make a dog quack.

Thank you for the effort, but if you can recall, my post was about buying a pedal, not an amp. I didn't phrase myself well it seems. When I said unlimited budget, I meant it in the range of effects pedals, not amps. The higher end pedals would probably reach a few hundred bucks, while a new amp a few thousand.

I mean, it would be kinda retarded if an "Ultimate metal" forum wouldn't have folks who know metal oriented gear.

Been looking for a new guitar with a thinner neck and a FR for shredier stuff. I've heard some great things about Agile and really like their interceptor pro line. I also love the Ibanez xiphos and would probably get one and swap out the bridge for an original FR. Any opinions on which I should go for or some other brands like Agile I should check out? Price range is loosely $400-1,000

EDIT: I'd also be willing to go for the Ibanez RG's but I dont have much personal experience with them so any input on that would be appreciated